Hiroshima and Himeji-jo


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hiroshima
February 15th 2007
Published: February 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

We took a trip back up to Himeji, this old castle in Japan. It is the most visited Japanese castle and the main tower dates back to 1601. Inside the tower required great concentration and co-ordination in order to climb the steep small staircases between floors without losing your slippers!

We went for a day trip to Miyajima, an island famous for its floating shrine and floating torii (gate) out in the water. Like Nara, there were many deer wandering around the island. There were also apparently monkeys near the top of the cable car ropeway but the ropeway was out of service and after starting to try to walk up Mt Misen, found it was a lot further than expected so gave up. Miyajima was a really nice island with narrow little streets, and, more memorably for me, the specialty of making these maple leaf shaped cakes filled with gooey centres (I rated chocolate as the best).

On our last day we visited the Peace Museum, A-Bomb Dome and the other memorials to the horror of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Plum Blossom!Plum Blossom!
Plum Blossom!

Apparently means spring had arrived. The cherry blossoms bloom a couple of months later.
Himeji castleHimeji castle
Himeji castle

The most visited castle in Japan dates back to 1601.
Koko-en GardenKoko-en Garden
Koko-en Garden

And some poor cold person on a bridge :)
On the ferry out to MiyajimaOn the ferry out to Miyajima
On the ferry out to Miyajima

See the torii behind me on the right.
The 'floating shrine' at MiyajimaThe 'floating shrine' at Miyajima
The 'floating shrine' at Miyajima

When the tide is in it looks like it is floating.
Mum being hunted by some deerMum being hunted by some deer
Mum being hunted by some deer

They could smell her delicious maple leaf cakes I bet.
A Japanese GardenA Japanese Garden
A Japanese Garden

Inside a gift shop at Miyajima that sold delicious maple leaf shaped cakes.
The A-Bomb building at nightThe A-Bomb building at night
The A-Bomb building at night

The atomic bomb exploded fairly close to this building and its remains have been left as a reminder.
Peace Park Memorial CenotaphPeace Park Memorial Cenotaph
Peace Park Memorial Cenotaph

You can maybe see the Peace Flame behind it - which will be extinguished when all nuclear weapons are destroyed.
The Children's MemorialThe Children's Memorial
The Children's Memorial

With many cases of paper cranes - started by a girl with cancer who believed she would be cured if she made 1000 of them, but did not reach her target. Hundreds of others have made cranes to add to this memorial since then.
A bunch of cranes from Waiuku CollegeA bunch of cranes from Waiuku College
A bunch of cranes from Waiuku College

We were surprised to see this at one of the 2 cases we looked at.
Watch that stopped at 8.15am 6 August 1945Watch that stopped at 8.15am 6 August 1945
Watch that stopped at 8.15am 6 August 1945

(when the bomb hit Hiroshima)
The A-Bomb buildingThe A-Bomb building
The A-Bomb building

Formerly the Industrial Promotion Hall. It was the closest building to the epicenter that was left at least partially standing.
Eating OkinomiyakiEating Okinomiyaki
Eating Okinomiyaki

The specialty dish of Hiroshima is kind of like a cabbage, pork and noodle pancake.
Hi-tech Japanese ToiletHi-tech Japanese Toilet
Hi-tech Japanese Toilet

Including buttons to make a water noise, bidet functions, bottom washers and driers (I think?) and I have absolutely no idea what the others were for and was not game enough to test them!


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 62; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb