Hiroshima and Miyajima


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hiroshima » Hiroshima
September 23rd 2008
Published: October 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Konnichiwa from Hiroshima and Miyajima!!

Hiroshima, probably one of the most famous cities in the world, needs no introduction. We thought to ourselves, what are we going to see? It has been 70 or so years since the tragidy ccured. Will there be old relics of twisted steel, concrete, and rock? Will there be no plants around, no animals, no life over the bombsite?

Thankfully our first encounter with Hiroshima revealed a bright and busy metropolis. Tons of shopping, food, parks, and of course museums.
In the center of the city lies a large park. Within the park lies the memorial site, the a bomb dome, and the museum. When you first see the A-bomb dome site, it is hard to realize what happened there. What did it look like before the bomb, after the bomb, and during the time untill now? The A-bomb dome was a government building that partly remained standing after the bomb. When we went the the museum, you see pictures taken the day after, and for miles, the only thing standing was that building. Everything was completely wiped out. Being there was a strange experience, because we didnt know exactly what happened, or the staggering amount of damage that occured until we later went to the museum.

Being at the museum was for both Erin and Myself, one of the most emotional and moving places we both have ever been. It is done in very good taste, not placing blame, merely giving information by both written acounts and pictures. The most emotinal part of the whole experience, is learning about the amount of innocent people that died, or worse, survived the initial blast. Then they died after they had a sip of water, or died asking for water. It is very sad, and both of us had to hold back tears. Being there, you realize that this event was tragic for Hiroshima as a city, tragic for Japan as a nation, and tragic for the Entire world. Let us pray that no one else is stupid enough to drop an atomic bomb......ever.

We both really enjoyed the childrens memorial, and the flame. A flame is burning and will not be extinguished untill the last nuclear weapon is destroyed.

After a eye and heart opening experience in Hiroshima, we took a nice ferry ride over to Miyajima to check out the famous
Japanese Imperial Military HeadquartersJapanese Imperial Military HeadquartersJapanese Imperial Military Headquarters

Originally built in 1894 and destroyed in the atomic bombing on Aug. 6, 1945. The foundation stones are all that remains today. This is a preserved historical site in memory of the bombing.
huge Tori gate in the water (Itsukashima Shrine). It was awsome, however it is said to be much better when the tide is in as it floods a bay and flows under a temple giving the effect that the temple is floating. At least you can stand next to the gate and see the size of the trees used to build it, during low tide only i might add. The Island also has nice temples, including a big pagoda, and couple of active zen buddism schools. It was a great way to wrap up before heading over 1200 kms back to Tokyo's airport (A journey that will take only 4 hrs thanks to the Shinkansen bullit train).

All in all, our time in Japan was epic. We experienced many things that will not be forgotten. The land of the Rising Sun is a place of incredible cutting edge technology, strangely yet perfectly balanced with ancient traditon. Japan has both a beautiful and tragic history stretching thousands of years, and they do what they can to make sure it still remains.
From huge cities, to the smallest of villiages, everywhere we have seen, we have loved. Would we return to
The A-Bomb DomeThe A-Bomb DomeThe A-Bomb Dome

Previously called the Hiroshima Prefectural Commercial Exhibition Hall. After the destruction of the atomic bombing and later preservation project it is now called the A-Bomb Dome.
Japan???
HEI!!

Erin & Trevor


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

A Memorial Stone at the A-Bomb DomeA Memorial Stone at the A-Bomb Dome
A Memorial Stone at the A-Bomb Dome

We were quite confused as to why people would put flowers and garbage on this stone, but later after going through the museum found out that the water has alot of significance. After the bombing, many of the bomb victims who were badly burned would plead for water. It was said that if they were to have water, they would die from shock. Many people struggled with whether they should give them water or not, some did some didnt. None of the burn victim survived. People now give an offering of water to the victims who died.
Children's Peace MonumentChildren's Peace Monument
Children's Peace Monument

In memory of all the children who died as a result of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima. Originally inspired by the death of Sadako Sasaki, who was exposed to radition at the age of 2. Ten years later she developed leukemia and started folding paper cranes hoping that when she reached 1000 her wish to get well would be granted. Sadako passed away after an 8-month struggle. People continue to make cranes and send them to the momument in memory of the children who died. There are approximately 10 million cranes offered each year. This was very a very touching story.
Hiroshima City of Peace Memorial MonumentHiroshima City of Peace Memorial Monument
Hiroshima City of Peace Memorial Monument

"Let all the souls here rest in peace for we shall not repeat the evil"
Itsukushima Shrine in MiyajimaItsukushima Shrine in Miyajima
Itsukushima Shrine in Miyajima

You can see the shrine in the distance...guess we were there at the wrong time as the tide was out. When the tide is in, the shrine looks like it is floating in the water and one of the temples is surrounded by water. It was really awkward to see it out of the water...definitely took away from its beauty.
Itsukushima Shrine in MiyajimaItsukushima Shrine in Miyajima
Itsukushima Shrine in Miyajima

Check out the Japanese guy doing the token "flailing arm, standing on one leg, peace sign picture pose"...classic!
I didnt do it...I didnt do it...
I didnt do it...

What can I say...I was hungry. A deer took a bite so I thought I would go in for a bite too =)


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb