Gujo-Hachiman


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Gifu
March 19th 2008
Published: March 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Gujo-Hachiman

Gujo-Hachiman

We took the JR Hida line from Nagoya to Mino-Ota to change to the non-JR Nagara-gawa Railway; if you come from Gifu, you should take the JR Takayama Main line till Mino-Ota. Your JR Japan Rail Pass is no good on the Nagara-gawa line and you'll have to buy a ticket on the platform at the machine. The train meanders left and right of the Nagara river and the views over the river are beautiful.
From Gujo-Hachiman station most of the town is at walking distance or a short taxi-ride away. When you finally get to walk around in Gujo-Hachiman, you'll discover that Gujo-Hachiman is all about water: From the Yoshida, Nagara and the Kodara rivers, and canals to the renowned water springs. During the famous Gujo Odori festival, which takes place from the middle of July until early September, every night 100 lanterns are lit along the riverbanks of the Yoshida River and sent downstream.

The most famous of the springs is Sogi Sui water spring (red point on map) which was the site where fifteenth century poet Sogi and local feudal lord To Tsuneyori exchanged farewell poems when the poet returned to Kyoto after visiting Gujo Hachiman. It has one of the clearest water in all of Japan as compiled by the Japanese ministry of environment.

Hirajin, a well-known and busy soba restaurant it located at a stone throw distance from this spring and is really recommended.

In late summer you'll find fishermen everywhere fishing for ayu, Japanese trout. You'll need a permit but your ryokan can surely help you obtaining one.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Gujo Hachiman castleGujo Hachiman castle
Gujo Hachiman castle

The original castle was built in 1559 by feudal lord Endo Morikazu; the castle was pulled down during the Meiji Restoration and rebuilt in 1934
Nagara-gawa Railway Nagara-gawa Railway
Nagara-gawa Railway

A Nagara-gawa Railway train at Mino-Ota station with a JR train in the background.


Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 64; dbt: 0.1357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb