Fukushima Festival


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Fukushima
August 6th 2006
Published: August 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

CrowdCrowdCrowd

Part of the crowd and parade
This weekend marked a huge festival in the city. Although I have no idea what the name of the festival is, it revolves around a giant sandal. I'm not sure how this giant sandal fits into Fukushima's heritage, but there are a few festivals revolving around this sandal as it is carried up Shinobu mountain to a shrine. The entire main street has been decorated with paper lanterns and small sandals with prayer plaques for over a week now.

At last night's festival, the giant sandal was present for the street parade- tied to a stake and hovering over the street. I met up with friends Corrie and Lauren to watch the street dancing parade- diferent groups of locals dressed in costumes danced to the music while making their way down the main boulvard of Fukushima. It looked as though the entire city had shown up for the event because we could only see crowds of people all the way down the streets. It was like being at Fuji Rock again.

The costumes ranged from simple matching shirts, to yukatas, to men dressed as women (which surprised us given the fact that we are accustomed to men wearing nothing
Giant sandalGiant sandalGiant sandal

I couldn't even fit the entire thing into the picture
but business suits). At the end of the parade, awards were given out for various things including best costume. Then some musical performers came on stage to sing while the entire crowd and parade-goers started dancing again. When the song finished, the giant sandal was taken down from it's pole and carried by dozens of men in fron tof the stage area where it was placed onto a "sandal holder." Crowds gathered around it to look at it.

Food stalls had been set up in an empty parking lot along with a few jump and bounces for the kids. After finding a stall selling crepes, Corrie and I talked to some locals before heading to a local bar for some food. It was fun being part of such a big street festival here in town (also coinciding with Caribana back in Toronto this weekend). Not sure if I'll be around for any more festivals this month during Obon celebrations. I am leaving for Seoul for a week next Monday, so I'll be back soon enough with more pictures and stories.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb