Rugby world cup in Japan


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Fukuoka
October 9th 2019
Published: October 9th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We've been in Japan a week now and I've not had much of a chance to get the blog done!
Basically we've explored Osaka, Hiroshima Miyajima and eaten....If I get a chance I might add some photos later.
But the real reason that we have come back to Japan, apart from to see the autumn colours...bit too early for that! Is for the Rugby!
You can't say that Japan has not embraced the World cup. We arrived in Kokura station to be met by Welsh flags and banners saying Go Wales! And pictures of the team everywhere! Apparently this is the town that the Welsh team came for their pre match training and 15,000 Japanese came to watch and they all sang the National Anthem ...in Welsh ( Mae Hen Wlad etc.)
So we're starting to feel excited.....
After a visit to the toilet museum (excellent!) We cought the train along with numerous other Welsh supporters to Oita for Wednesday's match against Fiji.
Oita has a few games based here and we were greated by loads of 'helpers' wearing rugby shirts and big smiles and Welcome to Oita (not your usual image of the Japanese)
After checking in to our hotel we went to the Fan zone ,where everyone was trying to give us stuff and I had a go at calligraphy all for free and we had a great photo taken with two Fijians.
Really good vibe around town and we're looking forward to tomorrow's march.
We watched SAfrica v Canada on a large screen with quite a few Canadians...who took the defeat very well!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Song sheetSong sheet
Song sheet

It was taught in all the schools!
Wales v Fiji Wales v Fiji
Wales v Fiji

Obvs.....not a Real front page....just seeing who reads all this stuff!!


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb