Tsugaru Kokeshi museum & Tanbo rice art


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Aomori
August 25th 2012
Published: June 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We headed through the mountains to the center region of Aomori, to visit a museum and see the famous rice art. The Tsugaru Kokeshi Doll museum is in Kuroishi, surrounded by apple orchards. Such a gorgeous little valley.



After learning a little bit about the history of kokeshi, we had the chance to make our own. It was still early in the day when we finished, so we strolled through the museum and had a leisurely lunch at a restaurant there. With our limited knowledge of kana, and some pictures on the cell phone, we were able to order curry and shrimp tempura! There was another airman and his mom there on the tour as well, but they had huge issues communicating and ended up with food they were not happy with.



We topped it off with some genuine Aomori apple ice cream (Aomori is the birthplace of the Fuji apple). It was just the thing for a sunny and deathly humid August day. Back on the bus, we rode to our next stop. We clambered with the crowds to the top of the viewing platform and admired the tanbo rice art in Inakadate. Each variety of rice was chosen for its color and they plan it all very carefully when planting. it was kind of mind boggling to me!



As the afternoon wore on, we made our way to Seibi-en Garden. This is the place that inspired the location in the Studio Ghibli film, The Secret World of Arrietty. I am afraid I didn't see much of it as my pregnancy nausea was intensifying, and Em was past due for her nap. We took a peek around (my camera settings got jostled without me realizing, so only one photo turned out) and then we returned to the bus to rest with some more icy treats. It was a long but satisfying day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb