Our thoughts on Indonesia


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia
March 31st 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After seven highly memorable weeks in Indonesia, we thought that we should provide our readers with some of our insights of this country. So here you go!




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

SpiritualitySpirituality
Spirituality

With a diversity of faiths, Indonesians are a highly spiritual people. They have to state a religion on their identity cards by law. Mosques and Churches are always of central importance in their communities.
The Indonesian queueThe Indonesian queue
The Indonesian queue

The Indonesians' airport system is representative of their general inability to get things done in a logical fashion. At check-in, people and suitcases vie for floor-space and push to get their ticket on the counter, where the staff queue up the tickets neatly in the order they are received!
Soap Opera dramaSoap Opera drama
Soap Opera drama

The many Indonesian soaps are all the same; romance stories featuring girls tricking prospective partners in intricate love games. The five-second-long facial expression shots, are the most comical feature and obviously help the producers to maintain their miniscule budgets.
Ayam and NasiAyam and Nasi
Ayam and Nasi

Chicken and rice, chicken and rice, chicken and rice! Even KFC have replaced their 'chicken and chips' with this ubiquitous Indonesian combination.
Hello Mister!Hello Mister!
Hello Mister!

Everyone in Indonesia wants to make friends. When finding out that we are English the usual response is 'David Beckham!' This seriously friendly nature can be draining after a while.
Guitar cultureGuitar culture
Guitar culture

Indonesia is absolutely obsessed with guitars. Every street corner, every bus, every home seems to ring with the sounds of both western and Indonesian pop and rock classics.
The busThe bus
The bus

Indonesian bus journeys are an unforgettable experience. You will witness the whole spectrum of human enterprise and activity: hawking, guitar-strumming, lively conductors, crowds, videos, music, decorations, flashing lights and a wall of clove-cigarette smoke.
Come to Indonesia - Bagus!Come to Indonesia - Bagus!
Come to Indonesia - Bagus!

'Bloody Bagus' (as Iwan would say). 'Bagus' is a vital Indonesian word which can be used for just about any situation. It can mean good, great, fine, nice, ok, or just about any positive exclamation you can think of. This word is sure to make you friends here!


13th April 2007

I like this blog as a Finale to all the amazing blogs from Indonesia. I feel like I know a little bit about the heart and soul of Indonesia. Lots of love Manda xxx

Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0832s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1.2mb