Berastagi


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Sumatra » Berastagi
July 5th 2010
Published: July 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The day started by being amazed at Indonesian maths, two 3,000Rh bottles of water came to 8,000rh. (If you're reading Sandra, the answer should be 6,000) but the woman did at least smile as she did it, and as the amount over the odds I paid was about 14 pence at I can't even by a rag like the sun for that amount, I let it go.

Leaving Bukit Lawang we got on a bus that wa designed for 11 passengers, at one point there were 20 human passengers and a small bird. I was sat on the edge of the seat with Rhian asleep on top of me and two bags to hold onto. The bar of the seat ended up in a most uncomfortable position and by the end of the three hours I thought that I'd managed to convince Elton to reinvest in Watford by making a very personal sacrifice.

The next bus was somehow worse. The were 30 passengers and 29 seats. I drew the short straw and sat on the floor, wedged between a woman who kept retching and eventually fulfilled the promise and a man who took full advantage of being able to smoke on a bus in Indonesia. However, after two hours of sitting on the floor, my rear end was numb enough to forget the pain of the previous journey.

After eight hours we completed our journey and paid just over 2 pound each for the whole lot. It's hard to complain!

Today we hired a guide to take us up to the volcano, which until this morning we didn't know was still active, however when we finally emerged from the jungle and into the crater it became obvious enough! The sulphur was jetting out from holes we couldn't see in the rocks and steam was flowing everywhere. The smell was of rotten eggs.

The guide kept talking in a Cockney accent, which to be fair to him, he had almost perfected, but after the first two hours it got tiring. But he certainly knew his way around the volcano, if he hadn't been there we'd certainly have got lost, so it was 150,000 well spent.

Neither of us have ever been in an active Volcano before, so it was something quite new!

Advertisement



7th July 2010

Pics???
Sounds like you're having a blast Lee.......Where are the pics?

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb