Central Java, volcanos and temples


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java
January 19th 2014
Published: January 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Dieng CraterDieng CraterDieng Crater

Very smelly and damp!
In the last few days we have traveled north to south and back again through central Java. It was a surprise to me that everywhere is built up with ribbon development along the roads between the villages so you never get the feeling of being out of a town. Also the roads have a constant stream of traffic so progress is slow. Most people use scooters to travel about carrying their goods and the whole family on their two wheels. The quality of the tarmac is better than that of Surrey at the moment! Where we did see open land every inch of land is cultivated with terraces cut into the mountain sides.

We visited the Dieng Crater which was very very smelly despite donning masks because of the sulphur. Some of the villages in this area have been abandoned because the sulphur became so concentrated. The sulphur gas is also captured and piped away for industrial use.

We have also visited a number of Hindu temples. The Gedong Songo ones we rode horses as the complex is so spread out. No photos of these I'm afraid, except for the one of my cousin Sian mounting her horse, as it rained so heavily there was no way I was getting my camera out! My walking shoes are still wet days later and we had to take the guide's word for it that there was a volcano next to the complex as it was hidden in the clouds.

So after about 7 hours driving yesterday, finishing off in rain so heavy even the guide was commenting on it, we arrived in Jogjakarta, the old capital city of Java before Jakarta took over. Jogjakarta is a popular tourist destination so we are not the only westerners about but people are still keen to practice their English on us, especially the school children, and to have their photos taken with us.

Today we visited the very impressive Prambanan Hindu temple which is another UNESCO world heritage site. They were built as a wedding present and are dedicated to the Hindu trinity: Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. The temples tower above you and were rather shaken up during an earthquake about 7 years ago so that the largest is still a 'hard hat area'. Also on the site about 3/4 mile away is a Buddhist temple complex, the other spouse's wedding present - the marriage resulting in the union of the north and south of Central Java.

We also visited the Sultan's palace built between 1756 and 1790. The crown is about to pass out of the current Sultan's family as he only has 5 daughters and no sons and his wife won't agree to him taking a second wife to see if he can sire a son......... We also visited the water palace and gardens 'Taman Sari ' built 200 years ago for the then sultan's harem. Quick look around the Sonobudoyo museum of Javanese culture - quick because the museum guide almost dragged us around - I think she was nervous.

Unfortunately both of us have bad colds. The one I have had since New Year has been backed up by a second one and now Sian is suffering too.

Now I'm off for a swim before we go out tonight to eat and see some traditional Ramayana dances.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

hairy fruithairy fruit
hairy fruit

Lovely a bit like a lychees
rubber tree tappingrubber tree tapping
rubber tree tapping

I remember learning of this in geography in junior school
Sian and her horseSian and her horse
Sian and her horse

Boy did we get wet!!


21st January 2014
paddy fields

Paddy fields?
Are you sure you didn't take this pic in Reigate before you went travelling?!!

Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb