Morning Walk to Alun-Alun Bandung


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Bandung
August 8th 2009
Published: August 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Street PainterStreet PainterStreet Painter

The Street painter painting a face of somebody in the morning @ Jalan Jend. Sudirman, Bandung
We stand on the side of the street, right in front of the Hotel. To the left, I just realize that Bandung City Square (known in local language as Alun-alun Bandung) was so close, unmistakeably spotted by the Towers of Grand Mosque. We looked each other, and had a same thought: The Linggarjati Restaurant, right behind the City Hall, serving the best Ice Avocado, was within walking distance.

Sunday morning starts slowly in this side of Bandung, part of it might caused by the cool air in the city 768m above sea level. Jalan Sudirman, one of main road in which our hotel located, was sparsely passed by cars. We pass few people as we walked, and a street painter painting for face of someone. A little bit ironic, since probably his friend was sleeping in front of it, with his face covered by red cloth. Passing the Otista intersection, there are barely any traffic in the road, which is usually clogged after 10 am.

Passing in front of the Grand Mosque, we can’t help to recollect the memory of 1 year ago, where we walk circling one of the Grand Mosque in Indonesia. There are not many people
Bandung's Grand MosqueBandung's Grand MosqueBandung's Grand Mosque

This Grand Mosque marks the center of Bandung
in the park in front of the Mosque. Some of them was having breakfast, chit chatting with friends, other shops at the peddler along the way, selling CDs, T-Shirt, watches, food and drinks. And in the distance we can see a signage: Linggarjati. A big smile decorate our face as the Ice Avocado served before us. We drink it as if we had no breakfast before, dried up the glass to the last drop. Temptation came to order second glass, but we decide to save it for another day.

We choose different route on the way back to the hotel, passing the road of Dalem Kaum. This small road is crowded with peddler, ricksaw, and people passing back and forth to the traditional market. I can’t help to notice a concrete gate: Tomb of Raden Wiranatakusumah II, the 6th Regent of Bandung. Too bad, it wasn’t properly maintained almost lost in between the growth of the city.

Not far ahead, we arrived at the entrance of Pasar Kota Kembang, a traditional market. We walk inside, taking the shortcut to our Hotel as the sun got higher. The alley in here is just enough for 2 people passing by
Tomb of Raden Wiranatakusumah IITomb of Raden Wiranatakusumah IITomb of Raden Wiranatakusumah II

Tomb of the founder of modern Bandung, 6th Regent of the city
without hitting each other, lit by the sun passing through the fiberglass roof above. Once in a while, the lady in front of us would stop to look at a handbag, and at another stall for shoes, forcing us to slow down. Maybe it would be nice as well if we had more time, but a friend’s wedding is waiting for us.

The main street was only slightly more crowded that before, seems Bandung wokes up real slow. But it was so much different when we leave for the wedding, with traffic jam all along. But given the chance, I would be happy to have another morning walk in this lovely city….


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Pasar Kota KembangPasar Kota Kembang
Pasar Kota Kembang

A traditional market in Bandung
As the CIty Came to LiveAs the CIty Came to Live
As the CIty Came to Live

The different crowd on the Road after a few hours....


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb