Bali 2014


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali
October 17th 2014
Published: November 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Bali 2014.



We arrived in Bali about 30 mins earlier than the expected 8.00pm, but the crowds in the new terminal made the wait to get through customs take a lot longer than we had hoped. Things have certainly become more modernized since 2012, with many more new buildings going up everywhere.



The taxi driver who took us to the hotel was very tired and it looked as if he was having micro sleeps as he was driving which scared the pants off us for the first time. We are well aware of the chaotic traffic in Bali but to have a driver nod off a couple of times during the drive is daunting to say the least. Hotel Vila Lumbung was a very nice resort. We had a budget room at the back of the resort, but the staff were lovely and the pool was stunning.



We were hoping to get prescription glasses in Bali but soon found out that with progress, everything else must go up too, and the glasses were no longer cheap to buy so we will get them back in Australia. A walk along the beach at Seminyak showed a surfing beach and brown sand which was not quite as appealing as some of the other beaches in Bali. We got a great taxi driver called Made who took us to our next destination called Puri Candikuning up in the highlands. On the way we stopped at a coffee plantation for the mandatory expensive coffee rip off and the tasting of the famous Lawak coffee but we liked the guy who owned the place and bought some pure chocolate made there from their cocoa beans... It was delicious.



We arrived at Puri Candikuning, and we were amazed at the stunning resort. The photos from the booking site didn't do the place justice. The suite was more like a villa with its own kitchen too, not that I had any intention of cooking. The bathroom had a massive spa bath in a bay window and a huge rain shower. The back door led out to a small terrace where you had a fantastic view over the lake and the cloud covered mountain next to it.



We walked down the road to the temple and had my favourite dish Bebek Guleng (Crispy fried duck with spicy sauces). After the long walk, we had a massage and I have to admit that it was a lot more painful than I had expected, but it hurt so good. We went for a swim afterwards and this pool was cooler than the others due to the altitude of the resort. Phil did not bring a jumper and certainly wished he had as it got quite cool at night. He actually had to wear a towel around his shoulders to keep warm.



We got a lift to the Balinese Botanical gardens the next day and spent a couple of hours walking around the beautifully manicured gardens looking at the many different areas, where some parts almost looked like you were in Europe. We decided to walk back to the resort which was quite a hike. We stopped at the market along the way and had a snack in a small restaurant as we had missed lunch. We had a lemon Bintang which was different but quite refreshing. We finally made it back to the resort and the staff were worried that we had got lost. That night we even had dinner in our room. Every night I had the same meal of whole grilled fish with Balinese sauce as it was so good. The fish was caught in the lake right next to where we were staying.



After breakfast the next day, Made was there to pick us up and take us to the next resort. We said our goodbye's to the lovely Julie who looked after us so well and then drove through the high mountains enjoying the view. We stopped at a lookout where you could see two lakes on either side called Twin Lakes lookout. There was a man with animals which you could hold for a fee of course, and I couldn't resist holding the big reticulating python.



Next stop was a waterfall, where we had to walk quite a way up and down steep hills. I bought some nice looking vanilla pods and hoped they would pass through customs. The hills were covered in clove trees which were being harvested at the time buy cheerful Balinese men dangling precariously from really long thin bamboo ladders. They were singing and laughing, and were happy to have their photo taken. After the waterfall, we drove for quite a while and then stopped at a fancy resort to have a delicious lunch by the sea.



We arrived at Mimpi Resort Manjangen in the afternoon and booked Made to come and pick us up again at 11am on Sat which he was very greatful for, as it means he gets to take the car home the night before which his children love as they get to go for a ride in air conditioned comfort..... It is amazing the little things we take for granted, but which are absolute luxury for Made's family.



Mimpi was a lovely resort with 2 swimming pools and 3 hot thermal pools. The restaurant serves great food and is on the bay where you can see all the dive boats come and go from all around Bali. We booked to go snorkeling and diving on the following day.



We got up early to have breakfast and then left the main land to go to Manjangen Island at 9am. We even had a packed hot lunch and plenty of water or soft drink. Phil went for 2 dives and while he was in the water we had a guide to take one other lady and myself snorkeling with a lunch break in between. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I coped really well with being on the boat for so long (with the help of a quell). We returned around 2pm, me with sunburnt legs and arms as I had completely forgotten to put sunscreen on….whoops!



The next day was spent just lazing around the pool and a quick walk to the next resort just to see what it looked like. I think I liked our resort the best. One last night, one last fabulous meal and it was off to Tanah Lot with Made again. Made was always early and was waiting when we were ready to leave. The drive to Tanah Lot was quite long and there were always different things to see on the way. We had lunch at a lovely spot overlooking vineyards.



Coco Resort was in the Tanah Lot temple grounds. There were hundreds of tourists walking around the market area of the grounds and it was hard to find the resort which was tucked away down a little alley way. The resort was a lovely little boutique place, insulated from the noise of the crowds with a super cold room and a lovely little pool. The staff were lovely and the meals we had in their restaurant were delicious. We walked to the temple and around the grounds and had a nice coffee with a Lawak.



Two days went by quickly, and it was time to go to the last resort. Phil was getting stomach pains and we thought he may have a hernia, so we thought we should go to the hospital on the way to have it checked out just in case. The doctor said she wasn’t sure so Phil had a blood test done and she suggested an ultrasound, the results would be sent to us via email. Unfortunately this hospital didn't do ultrasounds so we had to go to Denpasar later that night which was their soonest appointment. It meant fasting for 4 hrs before.



We went to The Grand Aston Resort and quickly had lunch giving us the 4 hr. fasting time before 8.30pm. The resort was large and had many more people than all the previous resorts put together. It was lovely but far more impersonal. A trip to the hospital in Denpasar took a while but we came back around 9.30 and had dinner at a restaurant across the road from our resort. We then had to go back to the doctor near Kuta on the following day with the scan.



The scan didn’t show anything and the doctor prescribed antibiotics and probiotics and pain killers which seemed to work instantly, (possibly infected ulcer). Having the all clear now, let us relax enough to explore some of the area on foot and then to the Nusa Dua mall by complimentary shuttle bus. We didn’t buy anything like the rest of the droves of tourists, as there weren’t really any bargains except for a Balinese kite. We swam in the pool in the afternoon which was a welcome escape from the heat.



We had one day left to spend however we wanted, so we hired bikes and rode along the shore front and looked into the resorts that we couldn’t afford. It was pretty warm so we stopped for a smoothie along the way back and watched the antics of a squirrel who desperately wanted to taste our piece of star fruit which was the decoration on top of our smoothies. After tasting it, he ran off in disgust as it was not something he wanted to eat. There is always plenty of people watching to do from the older rich women with their toy boys, and the older men with their young Balinese girlfriends/wives. It is never boring sitting on the boardwalk having a Bintang – Gotta Love Bali!


Additional photos below
Photos: 85, Displayed: 28


Advertisement




Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb