Bali


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali
July 31st 2010
Published: July 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

8th day - Bali




It's not very easy to plan ahead in Indonesia, half of the hostels don't have websites and if they do they don't work or aren't in English. Still haven't worked out how to phone within Indonesia, you need some kind of area code that people don't seem to know. So, it's pretty much just turn up at places and hope they have room. This approach didn't work when we arrived in the beach side town of Sanur - the alternative to the over crowded touristy town of Kuta. Every place was full, i wanted to put my heavy bag down and get a shower so badly. A man seemed to appear out of no where and said he knew of vacancies at a nearby hotel with air con, shower, very cheap price and 5min walk from the beach. We knew this guy wasn't being completely truthful but we'd been carting our back packs around for a few hrs without any luck so we reluctantly agreed and went. It was miles out of the main town, the shower was a foot above the floor! - what am I, a midget? Of course there was no air con and the price was so obviously picked out of thin air to insure he and the hotel owner both got more than they deserved. We could of declined but we were now a 20 min drive out of town and there didn't appear to be anything else so we had no choice. We showered by collecting water using the hand cuppage technique and throwing it on ourselves, it did the job though, I felt better.
The town centre of Sanur was nice and quiet, just what we needed after all the travel and grief etc. I booked myself a flight to the Island of Flores for the next day and Florent and Bogden somehow managed to book a car without a drivers license. Later that night we got some beers and sat on the beach, the sea breeze was such a refreshing change to the non-stop heat. Bintang is pretty much the only beer you can get here and it's nice! Sometimes it can be difficult to find beer, or when you do it's very expensive. It's not surprising though because 90%!o(MISSING)f the population are Muslim so it's only foreigners that drink it. Took a taxi home and arranged with the driver to pick me up sharpish at 6 the next morning for my flight, he was there dead on 6 the good man. While I will be on the island of Flores organising a trip to see the Komodo dragons they were going to travel around Bali for a few days and pick me up at Bali airport a few days later.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb