Indonesia


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali
April 8th 2008
Published: August 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

The Whole Enchilada

What a wonderful, unbelievable trip it was! 9 months, 38,000 miles, 56 cities, countless new friends, and perspective and memories that will last a lifetime.

We arrived in Bangkok on February 8th and left for Bali on April 8th. We had spent two months exploring Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. It was time to move on to our final stop on the trip, Indonesia. We were ready to stay put for our last month, surf the warm water and enjoy Balinese life. We had been to Bali in August of 07 for our honeymoon but only stayed for 10 days, so we were looking forward to exploring the area. We took side trips to Nusa Lembongan and Lombok. Nusa Lembongan is a small island off Bali where they cultivate seaweed for corporate companies to use in their makeup products. These small island people work all day long harvesting the sea weed and the pay is very small. While on Lembongan, we rented bikes and explored beautiful secluded coves and took a boat ride through the peaceful mangroves. There are three surf breaks on the island, but the surf was non existent while we were there.

We tried our hand at Lombok, but didn't dig the vibe, the weather was crappy and the surf was difficult to reach, so we went back to Bali and Legian
Karl before coffeeKarl before coffeeKarl before coffee

Monkey Forest!
Beach where we already had a good thing going. We spent our days on the beach surfing and reading and walking on the long stretch of beautiful sand. We picked the best possible spot to end our 9 month journey. We were able to relax and not have to move around so much. We met up with two girls we had met in Laos, Christie and Amanda from Canada. Amanda and KT took a surf lesson from a local guy and both were addicted to the warm water and the thrill of riding a wave. Karl met a cool guy, Gaz, from Enlgand and they surfed every day while we were there. We ate at the famous surf restaurant "Balcony" where we met Rob Machado who was there filming a movie with Taylor Steele and Kalani Robb. He was such a nice guy and genuinely interested in hearing about our journey.

We both decided Bali is a place we will continue to visit and perhaps one day live. We absolutely love it!! We




Additional photos below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Karl at KutaKarl at Kuta
Karl at Kuta

Warm water and clean little waves...so fun!
Post-hike cool-downPost-hike cool-down
Post-hike cool-down

These girls played on the rope-swing with us and sold us more than a few bracelets.
Rent-a-BoardRent-a-Board
Rent-a-Board

$4 a day. Of course, we learned this the hard way.
Need a SponserNeed a Sponser
Need a Sponser

I was pretty surprised Billabong or Quicksilver didn't call...
Flat Tire on LombocFlat Tire on Lomboc
Flat Tire on Lomboc

Every time KT and I rented a scooter, something really fun happened! Sliced toes, major leg burn, flat tire in the middle of nowhere. We just want to ride!
PhotogenicPhotogenic
Photogenic

Look at the little girl in the middle. She didn't give us much love, but we sure thought she was cute.
LombokLombok
Lombok

Another Beach called Kuta. We didn't fall in love with Lombok the way we have with Bali.
Set up back on BaliSet up back on Bali
Set up back on Bali

Our patch of sand. Without the umbrella, we surely would have disintegrated.
Uluwatu TempleUluwatu Temple
Uluwatu Temple

KF looking quite festive...
Padang PadangPadang Padang
Padang Padang

This is a beautiful beach. The wave is legendary, but it was quite small while we were here.
Family at KutaFamily at Kuta
Family at Kuta

Every Sunday, families poured out on the beach in the afternoon and played until after sunset.


Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.018s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb