Bali


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
March 5th 2012
Published: March 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

5.3.2012



We got a taxi to Ubud which cost us about 18 pound, not bad for an hour and a half taxi drive but we thought we could have got it cheaper. We were staying in Nick’s homestay which is on a Balinese family compound. We had our own bungalow set in the gardens with loads of ornate bird cages around with all funny birds in. There was lots of little mini shrines and temples around. There’s an open building in the small compound with 2 big beds on, raised up, all very fancy and detailed. There was lots of gold and paintings as well. Apparently it is used for ceremonies – weddings, deaths and tooth filing. There’s chickens and cockrels roaming around. Funny music being played all the time, we think it’s some music practice for all the dance shows that happen, like steel drums but worse and more intense. We went for a walk around Ubud, its nice a lot nicer than Kuta. There’s rice paddies surrounding the town, every couple of shops there’s temples or shrines. Everyone gives an offering either outside the shop on the street or at a local shrine. They give some rice, crackers, flowers sometimes sweets in a little hand made basket made from vines, with a little insense stick as well. We had the famous suckling pig for lunch which was nice. The meat was very moist and tender, it was drowned in spices which made it really tasty. All the food has a kick to it with lots of fresh chili’s in most of the dishes. We had to take our shoes off before we went in, sit crossed legged on the floor at a low table.

6.3.2012

Sunny today! We were nicely woken this morning at a stupid hour by what sounded like 3 cockrels outside our door. They were going at it for hours cock a doodle doing! Along with other birds squarking and cat fights we were up very early. We thought we would have a really nice sleep in peaceful surrounding gardens but we were wrong. Breakfast was brought to us on our porch, we had banana jaffels (toasties) and a big bowl of fresh fruit, lovely breakfast.

We then headed for the monkey forest. We paid the 20,000R to get in and bought a bunch of banana's to feed to the monkeys. As soon as we walked in there were loads right there waiting for us. They were in the tree's, grooming each other or trying to rob my banana's! They were the grey macaques type, small and grey. There wasn't any gates to the forest so some of them were on the road outside. They could have gone anywhere if they wanted. As soon as you got a banana out of your bag they would run at you, grab it off you peel it and eat in within seconds. You had to be careful not to wind them up as they can get aggresive. They were fascinating to watch so we took loads of pictures. A local guide then took us round and talked about the monkeys and showed us the temples inside the forest. The guide then took us to a courtyard with loads of monkeys in. He picked up some cucumber and went to feed the monkey but showing it onto Sophie's shoulder. Next minute one was climbing up her, sat on her shoulder, took the cucmber and started eating it like it was normal. Sophie was very suprised, but didn't freak out as much as I thought. He then did the same to me but got 2 monkeys up, one on my head and the other on my shoulder. They were very gentle and as long as you gave them food they wouldn't hurt you. We carried on walking around the forest seeing loads of baby monkeys, some must have been only days old. They were very cute.

For tea we went to a warung. The warungs are small restaurants, which cook simple traditional local food. Again we had to take our shoes off and sit at a small table. The food was amazing! The chicken curry and the satay was so nice, and cheap too. I promised to cook the green curry for Sophie when we get home so we'll se how that turns out!

We walked around Ubud, lots of bookshops, markets, nice homeware shops. Its quite quirky, lots of older travellers around, or people who have just ended up staying here.

In the evening we booked into seeing a local Balinese dance. We saw a Kecak and fire dance. It was very entertaining and the costumes were fantastic. There was about 40 men sat on the floor providing the music or rhythm. They were making a noise like 'tak' and 'tuk' and the women would dance and tell a story with their dancing. The finale was when a fire was lit in the middle of the floor. It was left to burn while a man dressed as a horse dance around the fire, he would then run through it kicking it and running on the hot ashes.

7.3.2012

We walked round for hours looking for a new diary for Sophie. We eventually found some suitable material to make one. I was dragged rouund the markets all afternoon looking for a souvenir. In return I chose were to go for tea, so we went back the warung place again. We were up early to go the Gili Islands in the morning so we packed and had an early night. Well so we thought, as soon as we settled down, the music, if you can call ot that, started from the dance next door. It was clanging and banging from metal sticks. It was awful. We had to put our ear plugs in and try and get to sleep. M x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.34s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.2138s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb