Our first stop - Ubud, Bali


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
October 1st 2011
Published: October 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Our route - Sep

London to Ubud, Bali, via KL.Ubud to Gili Trawangan, via Padangbai and Lombok.

Rice fields in UbudRice fields in UbudRice fields in Ubud

A lovely long walk around the rice fields of Ubud, Bali, Indonesia.
The sawah - rice fields - around Ubud thrum with the sounds of crickets, frogs and the gentle trickling of water.

The verdant terraces separated by winding mud walls, traverse the gentle slopes like contours on a map.

The temples and quieter streets smell of incense, josticks and meals prepared with lemongrass and ginger.

Apparently dormant men spring from doorways, offering 'taxi' with the approach of a tourist. Evening performers of traditional Balinese danes enthusiastically sell tickets for their shows.

Ubud is awash with Balinese art - mainly paintings, but wood carving too - in galleries, shops and museums. The unpretentious workshops and little galleries extend into the upper reaches of the rice fields. Some run courses for those that prefer making to seeing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Traditional Balinese DancingTraditional Balinese Dancing
Traditional Balinese Dancing

Trance dance, Ubud, Bali, Indonesia.
Traditional Balinese DancingTraditional Balinese Dancing
Traditional Balinese Dancing

Ubud, Bali, Indonesia.
Traditional Balinese DancingTraditional Balinese Dancing
Traditional Balinese Dancing

A story about a boy getting ready to go to war, Ubud, Bali, Indonesia.
Monkey forestMonkey forest
Monkey forest

Ben is getting to know that local inhabitants and making new friends, Ubud, Bali, Indonesia.
Monkey familyMonkey family
Monkey family

A monkey family feeding and cuddling each other, Ubud, Bali, Indonesia.


9th October 2011

I didn\'t know the Danish had colonised the area... Anyway, we\'re reading this blog to find out about you guys - what you been up to?? Enjoying it??

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb