Between Ubud and Peliatan


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
June 25th 2009
Published: June 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We visited our friends in Sanur. They left Belgium two years ago, a decision they did not regret at all. They were the ‘mystery guests” that made an evaluation of ‘Mandala Desa’ for us.
We reported about the failure of our project.
They suggested we should talk to a Belgian man who had been living in Bali for a long time, knew the island well and definitely would give us advice. His house, close to Ubud, was said to be for sale.
We made an appointment and had a nice conversation with an extravert and open person, who told us one anecdote after the other about his life in Bali. It was correct that he considered to sell his house and we agreed to have a look at the property the next day.
After lunch he brought us to his house in Peliatan, a few minutes from the centre of Ubud. At the end of the main road you turn three quarters of the roundabout and take a narrow road that brings you to a temple (picture). Then a steep path further up the hill. Our new friend parked his 4x4 in front of a gate in Balinese style.
The property was surrounded by walls at three sides. A traditional Balinese compound would be completely walled to keep evil spirits out. We entered the gate and I heard from my wife’s reaction that the search was over. She didn’t even try to hide her enthusiasm.
The sawah (= rice field) view was fantastic, the buildings were new and a tasteful mix of modern and Balinese elements. The garden was young but promising.

The infinity pool seemed to end in the rice paddies.
The owner also had long term leases for the neighboring plots of land to the left and right of the house. In my imagination I already pictured a private house on one of the plots. After a short guided tour and a cold beer we had a deal. We also bought one of the neighboring plots. The owner would build a new house for himself on the other parcel of land. We would have a Belgian neighbor at one side and a Balinese temple at the other side.

Our last week in Bali would be challenging: find a reliable notary and a good architect.

dirk weemaes
Villa Sabandari



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.756s; Tpl: 0.085s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1.1mb