Galungan celebration


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
April 3rd 2009
Published: April 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Galungan celebration is a Balinese holiday that occurs every 210 days, balinese cycle of days Pawukon (lasts for 10 days).
Kuningan is the last day of the holiday. Galungan means "When the Dharma is winning."

During this holiday the Balinese gods visit the Earth and leave on Kuningan.
During the Galungan period the deified ancestors of the family descend to their former homes. They must be entertained and welcomed, and prayers and offerings are made for them. For this reason, many children walking down the streets dancing with Barong (Big lion God) and it is followed by an orchesta formed by male children. Everybody has to use special clothes for the occasion: Sarongs....so tourists should be aware to get dressed properly to visit a temple, respecting the local traditions.

Although Galungan falls on a Wednesday, most Balinese begin their Galungan 'holiday' the days before, where all the familis are seen busy preparing offerings and cooking for the next day. So, if u are going to Bali to buy some art and craft, forget to have a good shopping during those 10 days!!

While the women of the household have been busy for days before creating beautifully woven 'banten' (offerings made from young coconut fronds), the men of our village usually wake up well before dawn to join with their neighbours to slaughter a pig unlucky enough to be chosen to help celebrate this occasion. Men also prepare streets decorations for their front-houses, a PENJOR: A long bamboo pole. By late Tuesday afternoon all over Bali the visitor can see these decorative poles creating a very festive atmosphere in the street.

On Wednesday, the day of Galungan, one will find that most Balinese will try to return to their own ancestral home at some stage during the day, even if they work in another part of the island. This is a very special day for families, where offerings are made to God and to the family ancestors who have come back to rest at this time in their family temple. As well as the family temple, visits are made to the village temple with offerings as well, and to the homes of other families who may have helped the family in some way over the past six months. Is an expression of gratitude.

The day after Galungan is a time for a holiday, visiting friends, maybe taking
Girls Girls Girls

going to the temple to bless theeir offerings
the opportunity to head for the mountains for a picnic. Everyone is still seen to be in their 'Sunday best' as they take to the streets to enjoy the festive spirit that Galungan brings to Bali.....thanks to everybody, specially to Dr. Grams =)





Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

PenjorPenjor
Penjor

Streets Offerings


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb