Days 8 to 9 Sanur (Bali)


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Sanur
October 15th 2008
Published: October 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It's the middle of the day on our last day in Bali and its too hot to sunbathe so we're packing. A normally depressive time, but not when we've still got 6 weeks left!

Yesterday we went on a tour of the island starting at an open air theater showing some traditional dancing. We then went shopping, much more my cup of tea, at a sliver smiths and a wood carvers. Then of to a temple at Tampak Siring. Due to the full moon yesterday we saw lots of ceremonies occurring throughout the day. The one at the temple however was the most amazing, including an upside down pig being carried on sticks (poor thing) we assume on the way to be sacrificed, it's a different world! There was also a holy bathing pool where people were queuing to bathe under water jets.

Then onto lunch in Kintamani which is quite high up. The restaurant we ate in had fabulous views of Mount Batur and Lake Batur. We were also joined for lunch by a zillion flies which put us off our traditional Indonesian cuisine somewhat.

We returned to the hotel in Sanur via the Sacred Monkey Sanctuary where I was jumped on by 2 of the little critters. G missed the whole thing, off photographing elsewhere. The whole experience was a little traumatic for me given that bananas were for sale to feed the monkeys and the whole place was covered with skins.

Last night the full moon was amazing. The moon light was so bright it was like daylight with shadows and everything! It was a fab night until we returned to the room to find an ant infestation due to stray crisp crumbs.

We're off to Darwin tonight and then on a 3 day tour of Kakadu and Katherine national parks so may not have internet access for a while. We'll be back when we can...

In the meantime enjoy what is no doubt a lovely Indian summer.

Love D&G


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



15th October 2008

Indian Summer over for a few days, back at weekend
Yes, not depressing at all when you've got another 6 weeks still to go, sounds like you are having a whale of a time. We've just got back from Pickering in the Caravan for a long weekend, absolutely stonking weather until we were coming home, normal rain resumed! but looks good for the rest of the week, not bad considering its Hull Fair week! Do you want any Brandy Snap getting?

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb