Kuta (Bali, Indonesia)


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Kuta
May 10th 2007
Published: May 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Tue 8th:
So, we checked out the hotel in Singapore, did the blog, got the MRT and got to the airport. Got carried away with duty-free shopping (Well, 200 cigarettes each and a bottle of Smirnoff - hardly a spree of epic proportions). Got the plane, didn't get a meal, bummer. And arrived in Bali, Denpasar airport just after midnight.

Wed 9th:
At the airport we had to pay for a visa ($25 - US Dollars! Before we left, their Embassy website said Brits didn't have to pay!)

Stepped outside and it was barren. No buses, no people, just taxi drivers asking a ridiculous amount of money.

So we looked on the map, saw Kuta town was only 2km South (Turn right as you leave the airport), used the compass and started walking. About 500 metres down the road we met another taxi guy offering a more realistic price (Rp 30,000), so we took it.

He took us right into Kuta and right to a hotel on Poppies lane 2, and eventually after a long, long day, we slept.

Got up midday and walked around Kuta. Strange place, it's like Tenerife or the Costa Del
Couple shot.Couple shot.Couple shot.

Kuta beach at sunset.
Sol for Australian's, all the tauts speak with an Aussie accent and everyone assumed you're from Australia aswell.

So went to the beach, saw the learner surfers and left quite quickly (Far too many tauts, you can't relax there without someone trying to sell you something, and they don't seem to understand the words "No.", "No thank you." or "Go away."). So went up to tourist information who tried to sell us all manner of trips, transport and everything else. Then we had to buy a new adaptor - our Worldwide from Boots doesn't fit the plugs in Indonesia, British engineering at its best. So Matt charged his beloved camera and we went for dinner.

Bali seems a let down compared to the rest of South East Asia, and the locals seem to assume that if you're not Balinese you must be an ATM with legs. No wonder they're a poor country, at least Cambodians leave you alone after you say "No." twice.

Thurs 10th:
To alleviate the boredom, and to escape the tauts we went to the waterpark, called 'Waterbom'. Despite the extortionate Rp162,000 to get in (That was after bartering, normally whities or foreigners have
The 'Boomerang'The 'Boomerang'The 'Boomerang'

At Waterbom!
to pay more - locals of course get a reduced rate.), although we had a good day.

The park had loads of waterslides and some were even too scary for Leanne to go on on her own! They also had the best food of any themepark type place. Matt ate a Volcano, whilst Leanne made do with a nice Kalzone.

When we got back we packed our bags and made for as quick a get-away as possible. 2 days is enough time for anyone in their sane mind to spent in Kuta.





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Kuta squareKuta square
Kuta square

One of the sites of the 2004 Bali terrorist bombings - Aimed at tourists!


Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0747s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb