Day 8 -Ubud to Denpasar to Melbourne


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Denpasar
September 26th 2016
Published: September 27th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Last day in Bali. Oh dear. Organised last night to have a slightly later check out. This morning went over to organise cars for 1030 this morning to the airport - booked a room by the hour at the Hilton beside the airport - super cheap. No problems.

Cooked breakfast using up all the fresh eggs left for us - maybe not me or Jessica in that order..... Kids have been n the pool most of the morning making the most of the water before we leave. Bags packed and eventually the cars arrive. Bloody spiral staircase is a pain for bags moving up and down. Never mind, one at the bottom starting the lift and one at the top to grab them up to the top Seemed to work.

Went over to say thanks to Thierry and Ana. Thierry was up at their new villa - still under construction. He showed Chris C and me through. Interesting project. It will be a spiral design, bedrooms on the top floor, kitchen and living on the ground level with another infinity pool suspended on piers off this floor looking over the rice paddies. There is a huge tree trunk that will form the central console of the spiral staircase. Lots of different designs in this place... Typical engineer house where rules don't apply other then your imagination.

Into the cars, farewells done and away to the Hilton. Make it there safely and booking is as expected. Too good, $45 for a room and use of pools, bars, etc. and a free transfer to the airport. Yay. Into the room, lock passports into the safe then off to Kuta beach for some time on the beach and lunch. Wander along the sand, then notice a ceremony appear onto the beach. Turns out to be a cremation about to happen - yes, they do their cremations in a very public manner. Decide to go back a little to find a place to eat. Into the Boardwalk and get tables shuffled as usual to accomodate us. Cold drinks ordered and then lunch. As we sit there, the fires start up the beach. Hmm, not too sure about this but it is their tradition so that is that....

Drinks superbly cold, food great. More hair braiding for Pippa as the old ones are getting a bit scruffy and Chris M'c goes for another massage. Stephanie end sup buying a painting she likes and I sit and mind the table, and maybe have a cold frothy or two..... Last Bintangs for a while. As I sit, the skies go blacker than black. Rain in the background then the staff start packing up all the cushions from the chairs. Asked if where we sit will be ok. Maybe not so I move the stuff from the table to one under cover. 2 minutes later the skies open, big time. People scurrying everywhere - this is a good storm happening around us. Luckily everyone got back to our new table before the rain started.

Rain abates, we leave and go into the shopping mall for our last souvenirs. Lots of stuff bought, then out to the taxi throng. Offered o van to take us all to the hotel. 130000, no 50000, no 80000, no 50000, no 70000, no 50000, no - get the vibe. Eventually tell him to bigger off and get 2 taxis. Back at the hotel, combined fares are 44000 - good outcome. In for a swim now.

Next problem is towels, only 2 in the room, and at the price we paid, not too comfortable asking for more. Problem solved, there are pool towels, so we decide to use them subtly.... At the end of the day there are towels everywhere in the bathroom, but we are all clean and ready for a final drink then to the airport. Sit and have a nice drink and some snacks then back to the room to do final bag packs then into cars. All good and away we go. 5 minutes later in the airport terminal, following 3 Carlton footy players (sorry Tezza, NFI who they were).

Through first security, then to the check in counter. Lots of people queued up then the security dude asks how many - when we say 7 he lets us into the business class line. Done and to customs and after half an hour into the international departure area. Some duty free shopping then another bar to settle in for an hour and a half before we can board. Last last Bintangs, toilet stops and waiting. Pippa so tired she goes to sleep in Stephanie's arms.

Eventually wander to our gate. Wait for boarding call. We are at the back so get called first. We queue up and Stephanie and Jessica come up after us. By this time the queue is huge. They go to the business line ad ask if they can get through that line. Yes. We are on and to our seats. Jessica and Chris and Pippa in the middle row and the rest of us on the windows in 2 rows. Pippa wakes up but goes back to sleep, with the help,of some lollies. We are off and flying, but not after a huge thunder and lightning storm just before we board. We are about half an hour late leaving. Never mind, we are on the plane and the rain has stopped for take off. Good one.

Up and flying and settled for the night, snacks arrive, eaten and off to sleep. Melbourne bound.....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.409s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb