Bali


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Benoa
November 12th 2012
Published: November 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to the world of Bali. Approximately 13 years ago I was very fortunate to visit this beautiful Island. Much has changed.......Starbucks at the Denpasar Airport, A&W, Kentucky Fried Chicken, paved roads, tons of vendors and 5star hotels dotted along the coast. What hasn't changed is the people, they are still a very gracious, hospitable and welcoming.

Our group of 15 ladies are staying at the beautiful Grand Mirage Hotel in Benoa. The Badung Strait offers a gentle breeze, lots of sun and tons of walking vendors.

The majority of the Balinese are Hindu, with a Muslim and Christian minority. The spirits are honoured almost everywhere with offerings made of flowers, incense, fruit and many other items. These offerings are found in Balinese public temples (pura), places of business, restaurants and on the streets. Thousands of temples are found in homes and villages. Like all countries around the world the Balinese are struggling to preserve their culture.

Our first stop was the Pura Taman Ayun Temple. The water from the inner oat is used to cleanse the temple during festivals. There are 11 tiered Meru, the tallest meru symbolizes the mountain Gunung Batukau. The inner courtyard is surrounded
Pura Taman Ayun TemplePura Taman Ayun TemplePura Taman Ayun Temple

A new friend for Linda.
on three sides by a moat, parts of which are filled with lotuses.

Facing the Indian Ocean is the beautiful Tenah Lot Temple. This beautiful landmark with it's temple is situated about 100 yars off the coast. Very crowded, the best time to visit the temple is at sunset. As the sun goes down the shrines offer a magnificent silhouette against the glowing horizon. We ended our day with a beautiful sea food dinner high above the cliffs over looking the Indian Ocean.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Tenah Lot TempleTenah Lot Temple
Tenah Lot Temple

Located on the Indian Ocean.
Tenah Lot TempleTenah Lot Temple
Tenah Lot Temple

Indian Ocean
Tenah Lot TempleTenah Lot Temple
Tenah Lot Temple

Indian Ocean
Tenah Lot TempleTenah Lot Temple
Tenah Lot Temple

A beautiful sunset followed by and delicious seafood dinner overlook the Indian Ocean.
Pura Toman Ayun TemplePura Toman Ayun Temple
Pura Toman Ayun Temple

Women with Wings


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb