Explore Udaipur – The Venice of the East with EaseMyTrip


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
November 17th 2015
Published: November 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The white city of the royal state of Rajasthan, Udaipur is amongst the most romantic destinations. This gorgeous city has a number of artificial lakes. Therefore, Udaipur is also nicknamed as ‘the Venice of the East’. The city of Udaipur is picturesquely situated on the banks of the Lake Pichola. The city was once a historic capital of the kingdom of Mewar in the former Rajputana Agency. Thus, one can find a number of glorious Rajput-era palaces that undoubtedly depicts the royal history of this charming city. This city is famous for sparkling lakes, magnificent palaces, rich history, its beautiful locations and rich culture. Thus, this beautiful city is a desirable destination visited by a large number of tourists right from domestics to international tourists every year. If you are planning a visit to this city, then read on to the following write-up and get to know more about its popular attractions that you must visit. EaseMyTrip.comwill help you to make your Rajasthan tour memorable.

The City Palace

A major landmark of Udaipur city, the City Palace is a regal heritage building in the heart of the city. The palace is made of the finest combination of white marble and granite. It is an architectural marvel that overlooks the aquamarine expanses of the Lake Pichola. This magnetic piece of art displays the finest elements of Rajput culture and art. As per history, this palace was constructed by Maharana Udai Singh of the ruling Sisodia clan. There are many fantastic buildings in the premises of the palace that have a heavy impression of European and Chinese architecture. The city palace also houses an extensive museum that showcases many articles of the Maharanas of previous time.

The Lake Palace

The Lake Palace (erstwhile called as Jag Niwas) is beautifully sited on an island in the middle of Lake Pichola. This palace was originally built as the summer palace under the direction of the Maharana Jagat Singh II (62nd successor to the royal dynasty of Mewar) of Udaipur during 1743-1746. However, now the palace has been converted into a lavish five star hotel. Because of its scenic as well as romantic locations, the hotel has been listed amongst the most romantic hotels in India.

Fateh Prakash Palace

The next majestic attraction is Fateh Prakash Palace. Having unique turrets and imposing domes, this palace is a grand heritage palace constructed along the banks of Lake Pichola. It gets its name from Maharana Fateh Singh (during the period of his reign: 1884-1935), one of Mewar dynasty's greatest rulers. This beautiful art of work is a warehouse of exquisite artworks like, chandeliers, unique crystal, crockery collections and rare paintings. Fateh Prakash Palace is another luxurious heritage hotel located in Udaipur with having environs with the magnificence of royalty.

Jag Mandir

It is another royal structure situated towards the south of the beautiful Lake Pichola. Jag Mandir palace was completed by Maharana Jagat Singh I (during the reign- 1628-1652) and was further developed by Rana Karan Singh (1620-28). This palace holds a great historical importance as it has a structure which had been built to give shelter to Prince Khurram (later Emperor Shah Jahan) in the year 1626, when he was about to revolt against his father, Emperor Jahangir.

Shilpgram of Udaipur

Shilpgram, the word is a combination of two words Shilp which means “craft“ and gram meaning “village”, which suggests the literal meaning-"Craftsmen's Village". A visit to this beautiful and vibrant village is must during the trip to Udaipur. This village certainly is a living ethnographic museum that illustrates the assortment in craft, art & culture amidst various Indian states. However, the exquisite terracotta work mainly done in dark red and dark brown sand material along with the wooden carvings are the specialty of this ethnic village. This village consists of 26 huts set in 70 acres of natural surroundings at the foot of the Aravali Hills.

Along with these, the city of Udaipur has a lot to offer, be it of cultural significance (Mewar festival, Shilpgram festival), scenic beauty or historical significance. Experience the royal grandeur of this city.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb