Jaipur - pt 2


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
February 3rd 2011
Published: February 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

The next day we were having breakfast in the hotel when Iqbal appeared saying we were supposed to have met him already despite saying 12 the day before. When we finished we went to the amber fort outside the main city. On the way we saw a few elephants making their way in different directions along the road, each with a bloke sitting on it. I know elephants are big but they seemed even bigger than i thought/remember. I don't know if they were for tourism purposes or whether they just know how to travel in style. The amber fort is very impressive and the palace was home to some maharaja back in the day. The usual touts were at the bottom but once you went up, there was less hassle. We basically had to run away from a guy trying to sell a hat for ten rupees. Again I know it's cheap but I wouldn't wear it if he was paying me ten rupees. We walked along some of the old walls which go on for miles and down to the lake at the bottom of the fort. We were greeted by muslim. No idea how or why he was there but that's what they do, turn up at random points with socks. I was offered some but assured him I have enough. Iqbal joined us and we went to some nice garden.
 I forgot to mention i had a go at driving the rickshaw the day before which was awesome. It's pretty much the same as riding a motorbike, which I've never done. It was  in a neighbourhood full of children, cows, goats etc running all over the place, but you couldn't go that fast anyway as there were massive potholes everywhere. If it had been the hazard perception test you wouldn't stop clicking. After only a few deaths and when we got to a main road i handed it back to muslim. 
Anyway, we came out of the garden and they'd disappeared so we got some south Indian food and chai from a stall. When they came back we went to the water palace to see it during the day. They dropped us at an Internet cafe for an hour before picking us up again to go and see a bollywood film. It was a funny experience. It was a new punjabi family comedy style film called 'yamla pagla deewana'. An Indian in Canada goes to India to find his dad and brother. This develops into him pretending to marry a girl in order to let his brother be with her because I think she is Sikh, with hilarious consequences including his Canadian wife turning up all angry. It was mainly in Hindi I think dubbed from punjabi with a bit in English but the slapstick fight scenes and classic dancing made it enjoyable. The main bloke in the turban was solid and beat up tens of people at a time, greeted by the audience whooping, whistling and practically falling out of their chairs. People here aren't afraid to make a noise during their films. After the film we were taken back to the hotel and said bye to our guides. Iqbal said he would take us to the station in the morning where we were heading for ranthambore national park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.493s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb