Day 4. Delhi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
April 25th 2008
Published: April 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We took the opportunity to sleep in a bit and had a slow moving morning. Later, we headed to the Qutab Minar at the advice of some english guys who were just finishing up there trip. The rickshaw drivers are all just dying to take you to shops and you can easily barter the price with how many shops you visit. Nicole and I have learned that we hate to visit these shops. i have no intention to buy anything and its heartbreaking to see these peoples livelihoods on the line. Or on the other problematic side is you find things you simply should not buy. There was a beautiful tribal necklace with some of the biggest most tremendous stones that I fell in love with. Oh well. Anyways, the rickshaw drivers all get gas coupons for visiting the shops and some of them are even paid a direct comission. After the Qutab Minar we headed to the national museum where we soon learned that the entry price is 300 rupees (about 8 bucks) without a student card and 1 rupee with. Nicole sadly forgot her student card at home and there was only an hour left so we passed. There is generally this kind of disparity between the pricing of foreigners and natives. We met this australian guy named Jared who was staying at our hotel and also just starting out his trip. We went out for dinner and decided that we should go out dancing. We asked a random rickshaw driver if he knew where we could go dancing. He said he did. This is about as far from the truth as possible. He hadn't a clue. I believe we spent aobut an hour in the rickshaw and stopped to ask for directions about a dozen times. At one point he even asked us for directions. We did eventually make it to a club/bar. It was not at all what i was expecting. i was rooting for a local spot with sweet indian music. We were at a very swanky G bar. I felt a little awkard in thai pants and a t-shirt and had not at all been expecting to listen to 50 cent on my trip to india. Sometimes thats how it goes though. Eventually we made it back to our place for a few hours of sleep before we took the plane to Goa.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb