Incredible Bengal:Dubrajpur,Mama Bhagne Pahar


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal
January 11th 2012
Published: January 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

On 11th of January'2012 me and my buddy Dgiri decided to hop somewhere near. We had plenty of options to go for as it is an advantage of living in Durgapur, but we tried to avoid distant affair and planned to return early as soon as possible. So we decided to sneak at Mama Bhagne Pahar at Dubrajpur,Birbhum. It is a pair of almost spherical natural boulders of granite rock, one balancing on the top of other. The balancing of the rocks are so surprising that it is a famous landmark in West Bengal, where it is known as Mama Bhagne ( the uncle and the nephew ).We started our journey at 11 am in the morning on Dgiri's Dhanno i.e his Yamaha Gladiator. Although,we have a very common route to travel Dubrajpur via Joydeb Kenduli which is around 28 kms from B-Zone,Durgapur and taking the National Highway which is about 7 kms from Joydeb Kenduli and from there 15 kms to Mama Bhagne Pahar, totalling of about 50 kms. But, we avoided that route as we knew that route already and as me and Dgiri is always an amid adventurer so we targeted the route which is not known to us. As we love asking people on our way to reach there. Now, the targeted route was through Ichapur - Sarpi - Jhanjra Projects - Pandaveshwar - then finally Mama Bhagne Pahar is on the right of our way. It was a great journey surpassing villages,collieries,rivers and crossing rail gates thrice on our way and pararelling with trains on our way just like Rajesh Khanna where he sings the song "Mere Sapno ki Rani kab Ayegi Tu" from the movie "Aradhana", it was really awesome.Then crossing numerous places unknown to both of us.

Mama Bhagne Pahar is really a great place and both of us liked it more because of the fact that me and Dgiri are both professional Rock Climbers.Another interesting fact we found out was at the base of the rocks there is a temple of Lord Shiva entitled Pahareswar.

This place shares some historical facts too i.e when Rama decided to attack Ravana he found it necessary to throw a bridge across the straits for the conveyance of his troops, he drove in his aerial chariot to the Himalayas, picked up what stones he needed and drove back. As he was passing Dubrajpur his horses took fright and tilted up the chariot and so some stones fell out. These are the stones at Mama Bhagne.



There ia another legend to the effect that they were collected by Viswakarma, at the command of Lord Shiva, to erect in one night, a second Kasi. When he collected the rocks and was about to commence work day dawned and so he left.

We reached Mama Bhagne Pahar at around 12:10 pm and we stayed there for almost 3 hours, climbing mostly on the Big rocks. From there we took some snaps of all the amazing views that we witnessed but could'nt capture well on my Nikon Coolpix as the beauties of nature can best be viewed through our own eyes.

Lastly, I would like to promise Mama Bhagne another visit and request all to visit this place atleast once.

Thanks To All

From

Aritra & Deepak.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



27th January 2012

Nice place indeed- Mama Bhagne Pahar!!
We were also in Mama Bhagne Pahar on Jan 23, 2012, few days after your tour. We also enjoyed the place, the surprising placements of so many small and big rocks, all on a sudden position so nearby a dusty, crowded area od Dubrajpur.

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb