Last few days of India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Kolkata
August 13th 2008
Published: August 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Not an awful lot to report. Arrived safely from Kathmandu and our bags were already off the carousel by the time we got through immigration!!

We then had an interesting trip through the highways and byways of Kolkata before arriving at our hotel. I must admit there were quite a few times that both David and I wondered where we were going to end up!! The traffic here doesn't seem to be as bad as the other India cities we have visited and all seems a little calmer.

Our hotel is at the top of a five storey building and despite the altitude the odd cockroach and caterpillar have found there way into the room. The staff keeping knocking our door as early and as late as possible to ask us when we are checking out!!

We are managing to see some of the Olympics although coverage is sketchy. The boxing here has an Aussie commentator who keeps coming out with stunning one liners. Memorable ones so far are :- He's taken more blows than a box of kleenex and there's more holes in his defence than a golf course!!! Very funny!!!

We have visited the Victoria Memorial and the Indian Museum and to be fair have been incredibly lazy since and not been anywhere else! The museum is interesting in its own right. It is in a very grand building and the exhibits are housed in museum pieces of their own right. You can easily get 'fossiled' out here!! The description to one ancient elephant like creature is that 'it is currently extinct'. We breathed a sigh of relief but have double checked darkened roads at night just in case one might be hiding somewhere! Amongst the other exhibits are textiles, paintings, geological artefacts from every state, cement (don't ask!) and a rather sad and tired zoological section.

The transport system is quirky too. The traffic all goes in one direction and then at 1.00pm reverses and goes the opposite way. Not content with just that, at 7.00pm it goes both ways! Mental note to us - stay away from the roads at these times!

Tomorrow we depart for Bangkok and are really looking forward to a new country.

Greetings to Noemi y Carlos, hope you escaped Delhi quicker than planned and I'm still insanely jealous you're heading for BA!!!

Next update after I've hopefully watched The Baggies on the 16th!! Boing Boing!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.1203s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb