observation in the City of Joy


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Kolkata
July 27th 2008
Published: July 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Greater short nosed fruit batGreater short nosed fruit batGreater short nosed fruit bat

Picture taken in Kolkata. Very eerie looking when many of them flying together are silhouetted by the evening sky.
Just wanted to quickly list off some things I have observed:

Large fruit bats (at first I thought they were birds).

Every two blocks or so (except in wealthier areas) there are street urinals. Nice to have a view of whats going on around you, or to be able to talk to a friend, whilst relieving oneself. Sorry can't find a picture yet.

The sky. It is quite a luxury in Kolkata to have a view of open skies, but in the Madian park it is possible and quite welcome.

If I walk down Park street in my lungi, one third the normal number of people who recognize me as a Westerner do so.

"Indian style" toilets are surprisingly comfortable to use, and help to strengthen the thighs and calves.

At Prem Dam, the patients who are healthiest, and those who speak better english, are generally able to get more food/attention by utilizing their superior talents and abilities. One could draw a parallel to the rest of society.

India's newspapers are by far the best I have ever read. The other day there was an article about how an agency connects rural families living around Kolkata to beggars within the city. Children are picked up at four in the morning and lent out to the beggars. Younger ones, and those who are "helpless looking" are greatly prized. At the end of the day, the children are brought back to their families. Beggars get more rupees, poor families don't have to worry about feeding their kids, and the agency gives a cut to the police to keep things running smoothly. Although this may seem appalling to more genteel readers, my attitude to this system as one who has studied economics can best be described as one of grudging respect. Philosophically it is appalling, and terrible for the real street families.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0718s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb