More thoughts on Prem Dan


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Kolkata
July 5th 2008
Published: July 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The routine was pretty much the same on day 2. Pictures will be difficult, but I would like to share some of the images that I saw / participated in. Maybe you'll be able to paint your own picture.

Skinny, elderly men, on the cement, eating with their hands (normal here)
Me chasing crows away from the food - They wouldn't leave it alone

Doing laundry and dishes the old fashioned way

An elderly man sits in yoga stance - completely silent

Kids beg for our bottled water as we enter or leave
Kids take joy as we snap a picture outside the home

A young burn victim wears only bandages and shorts

One man has growths all over his body
Another with two large mango-sized growths in his neck


MAN'S PRIDE

I thought a lot about pride today. As I served the men in Pren Dam, it really seemed there was a lot of pride in the area. Men have an attitude that they want to do things for themselves. They want to supply for their families. They want to be the strong one. They want to solve problems. Being a man who needs long-term care could be very difficult considering these preferences. As I walked around today, it seemed that men wanted and did do some for themselves. And when they needed help, they tried to not let it hurt their pride. Interesting how something like this can get in the way of this being a more pleasant place. People accepting what they can do; and being happy that someone is there to help with what they cannot.

I also see pride in the male volunteers I work with. They walk around, and want to help. And often, they put this pride aside and dig in to serve. They attack the dishes. They feed someone their meal. They shave another man. These moments make a difference.

However, it seems there is something missing. I visit the women's area and notice how much more energy there is. I see how jovial they are. The clients share more. The clients express themselves more. The volunteers do the same. They care for the clients, sing, and make this a more pleasant place.

What happened to the men? What has the culture encouraged or even required? They seem to have retreated into themselves. They do converse, but keep to themselves much more. And their interaction is even, at times, competitive in nature.

I've called this pride as I've considered these perceptions today. And what will we do when we cannot care for ourselves any longer? Accept ourselves for who we are and take joy in the small moments we have? Or retreat into ourselves. Or maybe better, who are we today?



Advertisement



5th July 2008

Life so different!
Yes, I can try to see how difficult it is for a man in his quest for his life that you are observing. Women do seem to adapt easier to life no matter in what circumstances they are in. Thanks for sharing! Love and miss both of you!

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb