BANDEL CHURCH


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Hooghly
August 8th 2010
Published: August 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

THE CLOCK TOWERTHE CLOCK TOWERTHE CLOCK TOWER

THE CLOCK TOWER
The Bandel Church is one of the oldest Christian churches in West Bengal, India. It stands as a memorial of the Portuguese settlement in Bengal. Built around 1599.
The Basilica of Our Lady of Bandel,or Bandel Church, as it popularly called,is the oldest church in Bengal and
is one of eastern India's oldest churches.It remains a major centre of Catholic pilgrimage, as well as an important historical monument.

How to get to Bandel

The Basilica of our Lady of Bandel, is situated in the town of the same name, at Hooghly, West Bengal, India.

BY AIR
The closest International Airport is the Netaji Shubas International Airport, at Calcutta (Kolkata). Most International destinations have a connecting filght from New Delhi, in case a direct flight to Calcutta is unavailable. Almost all National Destinations have direct flights to the Netaji Shubas Airport's Domestic Terminal.

Once you arrive at Calcutta, the following two options are available to you:

TRAIN FROM HOWRAH STATION
You can catch a local train from Howrah Station to Bandel Junction. From the station, take a cycle-rickshaw or bus to the church. (You may also want to try a somewhat long - 30 mins. or so - walk... if you are the energetic type!)

ROAD FROM CALCUTTA
Cross Bally Bridge (Vivekananda Setu), the old Howrah Bridge (Rabindra Setu) or the New Bridge (Vidyasagar Setu) to the Delhi Road (NH 1). At Dankuni, go ahead to where the NH 34 connects to the GT Road at Mogra, and go back about 6 k.m. to Bandel. OR Take the earlier diversion to Chinsura (Chuchura) and get connected to the G.T. Road, and proceed to Bandel town.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

THE CHURCHTHE CHURCH
THE CHURCH

"Our Lady Of Happy Voyage".


Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb