Darjeeling


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Darjeeling
December 20th 2010
Published: December 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After arriving in SIliguri (delayed 2 hours by the train, as whats now becoming expected), we got a jeep up through the hills to Darjeeling.
Unfortunately the 'Toy Train' wasn't operating at the moment, although I'm sceptical to whether it has been since it was rumored to have broken down early 2009.
However the jeep ride would have to be placed as by far the best journey we have had so far.

The views were absolutely amazing. The road winds around the hills passing though small villages with little victorian houses, built during the times of Colonisation by the British, now painted beautiful bright reds, blues and greens. Pray flags drape across the roads and there are many monastries along the way nestled into the hillside.
I've never seen anything quite like it, there was a distinct feeling as if we had left India and we're entering Tibet.
As we crept higher towards Darjeeling the temperature dropped dramatically but it seemed a small price to pay to be surround by such beauty and culture.

After walking around with our packs on up and down steep streets searching for what seemed eternity, but was really only a couple of hours, we finally found our guest house, and it was well worth the search.
Andy's Guest house is a pretty blue cottage sitting four stories high over looking the hills and village.
Possibly the cleanest and most homely of all the guest houses we've stayed in, it's like a home away from home.

Due to frequent power cuts and absolutely no desire to step outside in the chilling night air, we were doomed to an early night, which served us well as we woke up early enough to climb onto the rooftop balcony which has a magnificant 360 degree view of the snow capped mountains on one side and the hills cradling the rest, to watch the sun rise.
It was absolutely beautiful and just took my breathe away.
It's incredible how such beauty and happiness can be found in the most simplest of things.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

SunsetSunset
Sunset

Sunset over the ganges
DinnerDinner
Dinner

Homeless man who welcomed me over for dinner
Meditation CavesMeditation Caves
Meditation Caves

Meditation caves st the Ashram The Beatles stayed at in the 60's
The GhatsThe Ghats
The Ghats

Varanasi
VaranasiVaranasi
Varanasi

Lady selling jewellery
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Sunset over the Ghats
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Sunset over the ganges
SunriseSunrise
Sunrise

Tiger Hill


20th December 2010

hillstaion to hillstation
Hello travellers, another adventure underway for the dwellers from a small southern island. Sounds like all the lack of planning & leaving itineraries to the last minute is paying off. Nothing like a bit of spontaneous luck. lotsa fun and lots more amazing continental sunrises and sunsets. lol xxx brian
21st December 2010

Great to hear all about your trip. Looking forward to hearing more! Merry Christmas. Trish & Gordon
21st December 2010

Darjeeling blog
Hi Katy Enjoyed your blog so much. Your journey to Darjeeling sounded amazing and your description of Darjeeling, the comforts of Andy's guest house (thanks to the Brits) and the breath taking beauty of the sunrise in the mountains. What a wonderful place to be. You write so well. Love to you both Lorraine (Hi from Tom and Joanne).

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb