Up in the hills


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Darjeeling
November 23rd 2010
Published: November 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hellooooooooo,

After an 8 hours train to Patna we left firmly hating the place disgusting first night hotel then a quest to find somewhere else but no hotels wanted us due to us being foreign so we walked around and faced a lot of 'no room at the inn'. I was sweaty and dusty and christof even more so but we found a nest in the end.

Took a 16 hour overnight train to Silguri which is a small little town that provided a delicious egg curry feast and much needed shut eye after the minimal sleeping on the crowded, smelly train (we were by the toilet).

From Silguri we took a cramped jeep up the steep, winding and hairpin/hair raising Tenzing Norgay road to Darjeeling. We climbed high with our ears popping (obviously Chris' more than mine due to the surface area), passing lush forest, bright pink, purple and yellow flowers, gushing waterfalls and small villages and arrived maybe 3 hours later in the beautiful town nestled high up in the Himalayan hill region - about 6,700ft.

The majority of the population are Gorkhas of ethnic Nepali background. Everyone is extremely hard working and so friendly. Big smiles all over. We love the town, alpine, beautiful views of the Himalayas, colonial buildings as well as a natural history museum, tea rooms, momos (Tibetan dumplings) and the freshest air you can imagine. There is only one downside....

IT IS FREEZING!!! Had to purchase some extra layers and emergency socks (socks with sandals, oh what a good look - girls you would be so proud). Surviving by drinking copious amounts of Darjeeling tea but both have continuous running noses.

Not sure what the plan is next - Christof is feeling quite poorly so need to lemsip him up to the max and we need to decide if we're brave enough to go further north into Sikkim or wimp out back to the lowlands and the 30C of Calcutta.

lots of love - A and C x x x x

oh, Advent calender time soon - to all those who have one - enjoy - we have our own brand, malaria pills. mmmmmmmmmmmmm. x


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



24th November 2010

Sorry to hear Chris is feeling poorly - not man flu I hope!! How fantastic to have a view of the Himalayas. Take care. Lots of love Hazel xx
25th November 2010

up in the hills
Not quite the Brecon Beacons I notice. Darjeeling looks cool and I'm sure the socks with sandals do you credit. Glad you arrived there safe and sound; you obviously have to suffer to benefit from all that lovely fresh air. Photos are fab. Yes Alice, Advent calendar time soon. I shall have to eat the contents of yours. I'm sure it will be delicious - I'll let you know! We have some Darjeeling tea at home. I'll toast you. Love you both, hugs and keep safe, Mum and a very dusty Dad.

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0581s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb