Quiet Darjeeling


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Darjeeling
February 29th 2008
Published: March 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

First of all we were freezing the first night. Darjeeling is on 2200 metres above sea level and really cold during the night.

Anyway the next morning we had to look out for a place to eat. All Darjeeling was closed - and I mean closed. No restaurant was open, no cyber cafe was open, they were on strike. The strike had been going on for 20 days already and it was not sure how long it would go on. We only got some transport the day before because the strike was 'open' for half a day.

Some fellow travellers gave us a hint about a small restaurant where we could get some breakfast. It was even the best breakfast since we are on the road and they even had Italian Coffee. Heaven :-)

So we only know Darjeeling when everything is closed, when it is very quiet and silent, when the locals hang around the main place in town and drink tea. We only got a glance of 'normal' Darjeeling the day we left. This means, the strike they went through was successful. They achived that the person in the governement (who was sitting there for 21 years) finally resigned. So the strike was over (for us after two days in Darjeeling) and we were able to move on.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb