How to make big tibetan momos, with Thupten Passang


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Darjeeling » Rimbick
April 20th 2012
Published: April 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Chopping CabbageChopping CabbageChopping Cabbage

Thupten Passang is the cook for the Khenpo's and Rinpoche-la (When he's not in USA) of the Buddhist school
Makes about 15.

Ingredients:

1 or 2 cabbages, 2 or 3 red onions, salt and something similar to salt which is apparently called wiching, oil, 200g of textured vegetable protein balls, bowl of flour, baking powder and 6-10 eggs.

1. Use flour, baking powder (quite a lot) and water to make dough. Knead welll and cover with polythene bag and towel and leave for about 7hrs.

2. About 2hrs before meal, put TVP and boiled water into a covered bowl and leave to soak. Chop cabbage into tiny pieces and then squeeze cabbage mince until it goes all mushy. Then chop onion into tiny pieces and mix with cabbage in a large bowl.

3. When TVP is ready, drain it, mince it and squeeze out all of the water. This is very important. Don't forget to hard boil the eggs!.

4. Mix TVP into cabbage and onion mix and also add the broken up hard boiled eggs. Add salt, wiching and a bit of oil.

5. Roll dough into circles a bit bigger than an index finger, thumb circle and put mixture in, folding the edges and pinching the dough together to close up the momo. Flip the momo over and gently knock it into a circular shape with cupped hands.

6. Oil the steamer and once water is boiled underneath, steam covered momos for 5-15 minutes or until looking delicious!



Thankyou so much to Thupten Passang for teaching me to make these delicious momos and thankyou to Jimba Sangpo and Lhuden Sherab for doign the dishes!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb