In search of Himalaya Foothills and return to De


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Rishikesh
March 18th 2009
Published: March 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Rishikesh is said to be in the foothills of the Himalaya mountains so we went on a short adventure looking to see the snow capped mountains of this great range. Overcast skies prevented us from succeeding. On two different occasions we took short trips on both sides of the Ganges river to catch a view of the Mountains beyond Mountains. Of course the ride up involves the narrow mountain roads and the typical Indian driving style. Passing on blind curves and just blowing your horn in hopes the oncoming traffic hears and stops. No rails just shear drop offs.

The hiking we were able to do was invigorating and much needed for me. At the top of each ridge were temples, one for Shiva and one for Shakti. The people we met were kind and friendly.

There is a lot to do around Rishikesh and we are getting tired of travel and long for home. Going with the flow of how we are feeling we decided to return home.

Canceling scheduled train rides and re booking new ones and flights took awhile. Thank goodness for the internet.

The trip back to Delhi was 1 1/2 hrs by taxi, 7 hrs by train. For the most part the trip was pleasant. As all of our previous trips there was a snafu. Delhi has three train station depots. Our ticket said Delhi. We had made arrangements for Jai to pick us up at the train depot in Delhi. Unfortunately our train stopped at what is still called old Delhi. Only after noticing everyone leaving the train and asking new passengers who wanted our seats did we realize this train did not go to the new Delhi station were Jai was waiting. Thank goodness for cell phones that worked. After an hour delay we were reunited with Jai and made it back to his flat.

We have enjoyed a great dinner with Jai and Sabine and now awaiting our return flight to the states.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



18th March 2009

high mountains
I have been India and i made lot of Tibetan friends they really nice. I had travel every place in India it's very nice country but i didn't see high mountains so my Tibetan friend said if you want to see mountain you are better to go Tibet even better than India. www.tibetanwildyakadventures.com is a site i found that offers private guide. do you feel it good idea to go with private guide?
18th March 2009

Thanks for the vicarious travel experience
Hi Richard, In a way I am sorry to learn that you are leaving India. I really enjoyed your travel blog. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I loved the photos. It was wonderful to read about your adventures in India. You will have plenty of stories to tell at the campfire when we have our next family olympics. Take care!

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb