Elephants and Tigers


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Rishikesh
February 7th 2006
Published: February 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Elephant in a templeElephant in a templeElephant in a temple

Elephants are the largest land mammal. That's easy to believe when you see one walking down the street!
Where I am in the north of India there are tons of animals that we don't have in Maryland. Among other things there are tigers, leopards, wild boar and elephants.

Elephants in India are smaller than their African cousins and they have smaller ears. Some of them are working animals and are ridden on treks. Elephants were used to defend India from Foreign invasion as late as World War II.

Tigers live all over India but up here the mountains is excellent territory for them because there is cover from where they can stalk their prey.

Elephants and tigers are both endangered in India and all over the world. Governments and Conservation groups are working to save the animals and the habitats that enable them to survive in the wild.

There are also spotted deer here in Rishikesh. They look a little bit like our deer but they keep their spots for their whole lives. They're also noisier than our deer. At night they call out to each other and sound just like people crying.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement

TigerTiger
Tiger

Don't worry I didn't take this photo-- but I know the tigers are here somewhere! As a side note here's something important about blogging. I can use this photo in my blog because the publishers www.bengaltigers.com wrote on their site that it was free for use as long as the part of the image that said their name stayed on the picture.


13th February 2006

Birthday
Hi Yves Is that your picture of an elephant? Why do they allow them in temples? Can't they do damage if they step the wrong way? Dad

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb