Har Ki Doon Trek in Uttarakhand


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Mussoorie
May 5th 2011
Published: May 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Trekking is fun and this one from Sankri to Har Ki Doon was no exception. We started our journey from Delhi on April 20th. Our first lap of journey was from Delhi to Dehradun by A C Express. We reached Dehradun early in the morning.

Our tour operator Mr. Nautiar was waiting at the station. A bus and a jeep took us to our first pit stop at a Youth Hostel en route, for the breakfast. We, the senior citizens, were given a preferential treatment and were accommodated in the jeep. We got this special treatment right throughout the trek, and that made us feel privileged and proud too, of our younger generation which had a mix of adults and children. This, in fact is the real strength of our culture and upbringing.

The 210 Kms journey from Dehradun to Sankri took almost 10 hours, as the travel was through treacherous winding roads going up and down the mountains along the river Tongs. A minor snag in our jeep carrying us senior citizens was to add to our thrill and excitement. Our jeep refused to move an inch after we had to stop for a while to remove a branch of a tree which was felled by some locals.

Locals from the nearby village gathered around us and each one commented and advised as if he was an auto expert. Finally it was concluded that the jeep had to be left there. A well to do local stopped a transport jeep – van carrying two army persons to Sankri. The Army personnel cooperated readily and saw that Neela & Shaila Tai were made comfortable in the seat behind the driver. They sat beside the driver and Swanand, Uday & I sat in the open luggage portion of the jeep on the back. It was getting dark by now. The 6 to 8 km bumpy ride appeared an endless journey. At last we made it to Sankri and had a sigh of relief. Hot soup was ready by then to welcome us all.

Our tour operator had goofed up, with an intention to make some fast and easy buck, and had booked for only 15 people in the Garwal Vikas Mandal Nigam guest house. We had to grease the palms to get others too accommodated in the guest house. Unfortunately this story was to follow us right throughout the trek at all the camping sites.

These experiences only taught us to fight out the unknown challenges and still enjoy. That is the hallmark of a trek. It was like a case of So – Far – So – Good.

Sankri – Taluka – Osla ( Seema ) – Har Ki Doon Trek:

Each day during the next 3 days, we walked about 10 to 16 Kms, gaining altitude of 400 – 800 Mtrs every day. Though the gain appears minuscule on paper, it was difficult because it was never a one way up or a down story. One moment we were on the banks of the river Tongs and the other at the top of a mountain, as if we were playing hide and seek games with the river and mountains.

The trek from Taluka to Osla and Osla to Har Ki Doon were tiresome and grueling. However, nobody seemed to complain about the odds, the distances, the inadequacies of food stuff etc, because at the end of the journey on the day there was something new that the Nature had to offer to us.

our exhaustion melted in the biting cold, the snow clad mountain top ranges, the surroundings, the lush green forests at the foothills and flowing waters from the rivulets and the falls and the steaming hot soup was a welcome refreshing elixir, as the sunset draped us in its warmth of the cold. Surprising no ? That even as the sun set behind the snow clad mountains, there was warmth felt by us all.

Har Ki Doon, some say it is the abode of lord shiv, and some say it’s the abode of all gods. Whatever it may be, it was surely our abode for a day and two nights. It was bliss, happiness and sense of fulfillment for us all.

The descend of around 30 odd kms, from there was comparatively easy but more frustrating as we approached our last base at Sankli, because a sense of colossal loss gripped us thick and fast as we touched our base at Sankli. Next day we were supposed to move back to the life filled with madness and hustle and bustle.

We all must have cursed our short lived fortunes, of being in places, full with peace and serenity, joy and happiness and cursed our misfortunes of leaving behind moments when we could identify ourselves with the nature.

But then that is what all life is all about, Life that of ups and downs, happiness and sorrows, accomplishments and defeats. So nothing to worry dear !! There will again be a TOMORROW !! And again a trek full of excitement and challenges. So, Wait till then folks, for my blog on another trek.


A special mention of Kedar, Swanand, Sangita Tai, Neel, Dhruv & Akash will not be out of place. They were all there for any one and every one who needed a helping hand.

Yes, to end the note if I am asked to spell out what I missed then I would reluctantly add a couple as under:

Having gone thus far and so close to the Glacier ( Only 8 Kms from the last camp ) I would have loved to see and tick that off from my wish list, but the heavy snow fall earlier had made the site unreachable. So the wish list continues to have the Glacier.

We all felt that the trek should have ended on a high note like the last time , that with Rafting. It was not to be. Probably we could have detoured to Rishikesh to try our luck this time.

We certainly missed out on the hospitality, the arrangements and quality sumptuous food of Negi.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb