Made it


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Dehradun
June 6th 2006
Published: June 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Dehradun is like a carnival on acid, where amazement mingles with nausea right up to the point where you almost can't take it then backs off to give youa break. Smells cycle recklessly from "barnyard" to "fried food" to "garbage" and back. The bumper cars have no enclosure and no rules, and for 4 rupees (10 cents) you can go along for the ride. The rickshaw drivers play indian hip-hop which is the most annoying sound in the world until you realize you've been bobbing your head with the beat for 10 minutes. The women wrap themselves in the most brilliant colors and shiny jewelrey then squat barefoot in a pile of trash and play with their half naked children.

Our rotations have fallen into step in this parade of contrast known as Dehradun. This morning we met up for the second time with Dr. Jojshi, a cardiologist who sees 150 patients a day (15 - 25 seconds/patient). We were able to listen to some heart mummurs and he gave us some basic physiology. Then, just as calmly as if he were going to lunch, he asked us if we wanted to go along to observe him perform a post mortem. We agreed and after a 10 minute car ride through the magle of human transport that is Doon Valley traffic we stood at the head of a stone table in a 10x20 ft cinderblock room. We watched as a man sharpened a rusty blade on the table and then performed an autopsy on a 15 year old girl.....Dr. Jojshi filled out some paperwork (cause of death: thwe girl poisined her self when she faild the Indian equivalent of the SATs) and then took us back to his home where we had tea with his family and played with his 7 month old son and listened to him talk about the cruise he took in singapore last year. And that was all before noon....on our second day.

This is not to say that I regret coming here or even that I dislike it here..... I came to see something entirely different from what I am used to and I'd say I've exceeded that expecataion....and am looking forward to the rest of my trip.

On a lighter note...our homestay family is amazing. Our house mom is Ms. Mina...she doesn't speak much english but is a phenominal cook and has a meal waiting for us when we wake up in the moring and whenever we come home from our rotations. The house has high ceilings and floor-to-ceiling screen windows. Add in the 15 or so ceiling fans interspersed throughout the house and its a pleasant place to read a book for an hour or two. Her son Varoon has a guitar and LOVES Nirvana and the Red Hot Chili Peppers...and exhibited his talents by playing the guitar solo from Californication flawlessly (or at least it sounded flawless to my muscally hadicapped ears). There are five of us staying there. I share a room with a third year med student from canada and three girls sleep in the room next door.

We'll be in the city for the rest of the week then head for Rishikesh for the weekend for a rafting on the Ganges (I've been told by several hinuds that this is not blasphemous as I had feared)..and then a safari on Sunday. We'll be in Moosorie (spelling?) next week working at a clinic...and I'm looking forward to getting away fromt he city for a week to some fresh air and cooler temperatures. The third week will find us back in Dehradun and our final week will be spent in the Villageof Than Gaon. I'll do my best to stay current with this but can't promise internet access in the hills.


I tried to upload pictures but the connection here isn't the greatest and right now all I have are the basic silly tourist photos. If I get anythign really good I'll take the time to post but I'm suppoed to meet some people and go exploring in the city. Bye for now.




Advertisement



6th June 2006

Cultural Awakening
Jimmy, Sounds like you are having a very interesting time...far from the ethnocentric lifestyle that surrounds Charlottesville and "The Corner." The places you have seen in India so far sound like a kaleidoscope of colors, sounds, people, smells, and feelings. Soak up every second of that part of the world...you might not get to experience another cultural imersion like this for a long time. Eat, drink, breathe, watch, and analyze...if you get a chance to snap some pictures without looking too out of place, please do so...I would love to see them when you return to the U.S. Take care of yourself over there friend. David
6th June 2006

Wow!
Exposure to medicine is what you wanted, and you are certainly getting that. Have a great time rafting...keep eyes open to all new and be careful:)
7th June 2006

God Speed
James, good to hear things are off to an interesting start. Enjoyed the readm keep the blogs coming. Have fun, learn a lot, and get home safe. -Dave
8th June 2006

very visual
sounds amazing already. I can visualize it. glad it is exceeding your expectations so far!. Don't worry about the photos even the touristy ones will be cool to us. continue to be amazed and go for touristy pictures on the safari. get a giraffe for Jenna, Ha ha.. stay safe, love milmij.

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb