HOLI!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Dehradun
March 5th 2007
Published: March 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

All you wonderful people that have been sending me stuff thank you so much! but my time here is drawing to a close and as of 20th march i will be travelling so stuff sent to the dehra dun address won't get to me! but feel free to send it home so i have lots of lovely things waiting for me when i get back!!! hee hee!

It was holi on the weekend and it was immense, amazing and soooo exhausting! there is so so so so much to say so i will have to condense it all. Holi is like a huge water fight with water balloons and brightly coloured powder. Everybody fights each other random people in the street, friends, relatives - it is crazy but so much fun. It is a hindu festival but it seems to be generally celebrated by everyone. There seems to be such an inclusive ethos here about celebrating other faiths religions etc..

There are many many different versions of the holi story in Hindu mythology but the main gist is the same. There was a cruel king who didn't want anyone to worship anything other than him, but his son was deeply religious and wouldn't comply. The king told his sister Holiker (who was immortal) to sit in a burning fire with the sun so he would die but the son did not die and holiker did instead.

On the third we went round to toral and suraj's with the other gaps and their boys who were home from school and had a huge bonfire. We ran round it seven times to the beat of a drum and ate special sweets and danced to special holi music.

The next day we had a feast and had a huge water and olour fight which lasted for two hopurs and culminated in suraj tipping a whole barrel of pink coloured water on my head. so hard to get out!!!! all the locals were drunk and it was such a fun and happy festival! anyway got to go more soon love to all xxxxxxxxxxx

Advertisement



6th March 2007

Spider
Kaitie what happened to the spider in the cupboard? Did you squash it? Did it run away? Is Lionel friends with it? Have they been smooching? Love from Euan xxxx p.s Iwrote all the blogs myself xx

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0709s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb