The Jungle, The Plains and the Mountains


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Corbett National Park
November 26th 2006
Published: December 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

A lot has happened since we left McLeod Ganj..
We got the overnight bus down the mountains which was surprisingly comfy apart from having a toilet stop every thousand years, especially with the bumpiness it was quite a major issue. Jesse was only saved by our bus being stopped by the police. I think the policeman was rather shocked to see a Jesse shaped blur shooting passed him en route to the nearest bush.
From Dehli we went got train to Corbett National Park. Which was closed. Due to strike action. However, picket lines were no problem for us. Despite all the Indians and many foreigners being denied entry we were simply taken to the Park Director's house, where he was having tea on the lawn, sitting on old wooden garden furniture. Very old Raj.
He directed us to the Park Warden's house (also massive), who let us in to his sitting room, and the park, no questions asked. The general jist seemed to be that as we used to be their Imperial Masters we could go wherever we wanted. We were thus dispatched with a hand written note, that, when brandished by our guide allowed us entrance through the various park gates.
The strike had turned out to work in our favour, as Dhikala, where we stayed the night in the reserve, was basically empty.
Apart from a monkey nicking our crisps, which Chloe was supposed to be guarding, the reserve was brilliant. We went on an two jeep safaris. It was brilliant standing in the back of an open jeep, riding across the plain, under blue skies with eagles in, past herds of deer and boar. We saw lots of other wildlife including wild elephants, a mongoose, peacocks, storks and crocodiles.
The highlight however, has to be the early morning elephant safari, as we went through the jungle, crossed the plains, undaunted by tall undergrowth, rivers, and anything that stood in our path. We reached the plain as the sun rose through the early morning mist, by the mountains. The plains were intriguingly full of Charas (hashish) plants.
It was also great being on an elephant as the wildlife allowed us much closer.
Its a shame we couldn't have stayed longer, and didn't see the tiger whose tracks we followed.
Sorry for the lack of photos, the internet is so slow.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb