Lord Buddha in Kushinagar


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh
September 19th 2008
Published: November 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Kushinagar is an international tourist place closely associated with legend Lord Buddha, Founder of Buddhism. It is one of the four sacred places of Lord Buddha. Buddha delivered his last sermon, attained Mahaparinirvana (salvation) in 483 BC and was cremated at Rambhar Stupa.

The reclining nirvana statue of Lord Buddha inside the temple is 6.10 meters long and is made of monolith red-sand stone of the 5th century A.D. It represents the 'Dying-Buddha’ reclining on his right side with his face towards the west. Being the death- place of Lord Buddha, it is holy place for pilgrimage. Indo-Japanese Temple, Burmese Temple, Chinese Temple, Thai Temple, Korean, Sri Lankan, Tibetan temples, 15 Acres Meditation Park, Museum are the other attractions at Kushinagar.

Gautama Buddha attained Parinirvana or 'Final Nirvana' after falling ill from eating a meal of a species of mushroom which translates as "pig's delight".

After a long painful bus journey, I managed to jump out of the bus. It was dull atmosphere with a lot of people were lazily starling along the dusty road to the famous site. I took a while to re-think where to ahead. The best time of the day, the scorchingly hot and dry I took a rickshaw to visit the most famous site in Kushinagar.

It was almost 8pm in the evening when I catch a lorry full of camel to Gorakphur Junction. I didn't mind to throw myself on top the hay bundles and settle down for two hours. The journey was more comfortable than the previous one. The night I spent at the train station with a bunch of farting and snoring travellers!




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



26th July 2010

kushinagar is religios plas.hear mahatma buddh was born.

Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 22; qc: 102; dbt: 0.2029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb