Top 5 things you need to know before travelling to Varanasi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Varanasi
November 11th 2014
Published: November 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post



Varanasi: Mythical,traditional, chaotic and vibrant



Traveler at heart... Love to soak in the culture .... not just do the touristy things... see the city as a living entity and meet the people that add to the character ...



I will try to share relevant links, key events and things to shop, eat and watch out for. I hope you like it.. more importantly it is of some use to some one...



1. Websites:



a. Uttar Pradesh tourism:<span> click here

Even though its not the most dynamic or responsive page. It does cover a lot and is a credible source of information. specially if you are not from India.



b. Lonely planet:<span> click here

Typical lonely planet page. Covers the basics for an international visitor. Native people might find it a bit touristy but its apt for the target audience.



c. Tripadvisor (hotels):<span> click here

Now when you are looking for hotels, things to keep in mind are that the buzz of the city is in and around the Vishwanath temple. Closer you are to Godowlia the better. shopping, food and sightseeing are convenient from here. The major problem is that in this area cars are not allowed so you have to leave your cab and take a cycle rickshaw. Good hotels are few and rare. I have stayed at the Lara hotel because of its location and its safe. Amenities wise its good for what they are charging you.






2. Connectivity:



a. Rail: Though Varanasi has its very own railway station, number of reputed trains dont go there so the next best thing is Mughal Sarai. Its about 20 odd kms and it takes between Rs. 500 - 700 to hire a small car.



b. Air: Varanasi airport is again 20 odd km from the city but the air fares swing pretty dramatically so please book in advance.



c. Road: Connectivity via road is improving but its not great I would not advise road travel from long distances.



d. In city travel: Best option is autos, they will charge you what comes to their mind so do haggle. If ypu are planning to travel to Chunar, Sarnath and Windam falls take a private car. Prefer hotel cars as they will ensure cleanliness and safety.







3. Food:




Varanasi is confluence of flavors. Here Indian vegetarian cuisine takes you on a journey that you will remember. Let me list down a few must haves:



a. Sweets from Vishwanath gali – Lal peda, Kheer mohan, Bharwa parwal, Mal pua, Meetha sandwich and Ras kadam



b. Shakes and Thandai (Milk based herb sherbet) from Gowdolia Chowk



c. Choti Kachori and Jalebi from Chowk Kotwali



d. Malaiye, Kulfi, Aloo ki tikki, Gol gappe, Dal ke pakode and Pan…. Your trip is incomplete without the traditional meetha (sweet) beetle nut concoction.



e. Mouth fresheners from Vishwanath gali – Numerous of varieties from dried herbs to prepackaged beetle nuts.



f. Pickles and Papads from Dashashwamedh ghat – some of most intriguing and mouthwatering varieties of pickles are available there.







4. Shopping:




Varanasi is a shopper’s paradise from garments to artifacts you have a massive range to choose from. Some must see items are listed below:


















a. Stone sculptures and carvings: From Hindu gods and goddesses to ash trays the choice is amazing. Also you will get different kinds of stones like marble, soap stone and sandstone. Sandstone is the regional specialty the amazing thing about sandstone is that once you wash it with water it keeps your room fragrant with smell of wet earth. (mitti ki sondhi khusboo). Available near and in Vishwanath gali.


























b. Wooden art and craft: It’s am art which has seen a

revival in modern times. These traditional toys and sculptures come in vibrant colors and they are completely washable and last for years. Available in Vishwanath Gali













c. Sarees and fabrics: Even though Varanasi is known for this. This is a high risk item as you can’t be assured of the quality. So try and purchase from large showrooms.



















5. Sightseeing:




Varanasi will provide with a range of options and it all depends on what turns you on. If it’s the authentic hustle bustle of the old town or the calm soothing feel of the river. Again let me try and list a few things I like.



a. Boat ride and the 80 ghats: Now this is a two time activity once in the day and the second time in the evening. By now you must have realized Banarasi’s are smooth talkers so am I lol. But you need to be careful when you fix a boat. Firstly if it’s a row boat you need atleast 2 oarsman and if it’s a jet boat then also. It helps to coordinate the ride. Secondly Varanasi has 80 ghats (Assi ghaat) so they would try and show you between 15 – 25 push them to go further. Thirdly it’s a photographers paradise so a camera is a must. Also carry a bottle of water as you might need one if it’s a sunny day.



b. Temples of Varanasi







i. Kashi Vishwanath Temple: Varanasi is Shiva’s abode on flat lands. It’s an experience to visit the temple. Mobile phones and liquids are not allowed so either leave it in your hotel or deposit with the guy who keeps your shoes. For international ttravelers in India almost 99%!t(MISSING)emples don’t allow shoes. You need to deposit your shoes and bags with shops near the temple gate and you can collect them on your way back. In case of any doubts please talk to policemen they are your best source of information around the temple complex.




ii. Sankat Mochan Temple: Hanuman ji Temple with hundreds of langoors around. So please go in empty handed. It’s a simple temple where people have been worshipping for thousands of years.




iii. Tulsi Manas Mandir: Is an experience worth having for the first timer. The temple depicts scenes from hindu mythology and would specially be of interest for kids and international travellers.




iv. Varanasi has more than 1000 temples so I am sure there are many more so I am not going to list them all. A piece of advice there are numerous shady characters around so be careful do not carry cards or cash more than a few hundred bucks. In case you have expensive mobile phones please avoid carrying them. Same goes for DSLR.






<table class="tr-caption-container" style="padding: 6px; margin-bottom: 0.5em; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; float: left; margin-right: 1em;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td style="text-align: center;">

</td></tr><tr><td class="tr-caption" style="font-size: 13px; padding-top: 4px; text-align: center;">
Gangaji ki Aarti at Dashashwamedh Ghat
</td></tr></tbody></table>


c. Gangaji ki Aarti (Even prayers at the river ghat): Must see if its your first time in Varanasi. Do check the timing with your hotel and the closest ghat. It takes about 45 mins but it’s worth the time. Due to tourist interest they have now choreographed it.


























<table class="tr-caption-container" style="padding: 6px; margin-bottom: 0.5em; float: right; margin-left: 1em; text-align: right;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td style="text-align: center;">

</td></tr><tr><td class="tr-caption" style="font-size: 13px; padding-top: 4px; text-align: center;">
Sarnath
</td></tr></tbody></table>
d. Sarnath: Barely an hour from Varanasi this is a town rich in Buddhist history. It has an ancient and historical stupa. It has 2 beautiful monasteries. The modern temple is beautiful and serene. You will specially enjoy the evening prayer.






e. Windham falls: Lovely site after monsoons just be a careful there are loads of leeches around.



f. Chunar: Once the center of sandstone art and craft its now a town devoted to creating ceramics. There is an old fort not very well maintained but in case you are into that you might consider visiting it.




Best time to visit is autumn and spring. Try and avoid major Indian religious festivals specially he ones linked to Shiva. Also if you can manage the chaos then Dev Deepawali in November is a spectacular scene.



I have been travelling to various places and I have been blessed to be guided by some really caring and warm souls. So I thought does everyone have access to such a credible knowledge base ???

In all probability no - right... So it is time for me to give back...



What better to kick start my travel blog than my ancestral town 😊






I will keep updating my post as and when new experiences happen. Everyone is free to add to this.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb