Day 17 Overnight train to Varanasi - Sunset over the Ganges


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Varanasi
August 5th 2014
Published: August 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Day -17 The overnight train to Varanasi
I closed the blog early last night as we were preparing for leaving Agra, and I didn't see any opportunity to add to the blog ! When in fact, 8 of us went out for a really good meal. It wasn't a particularly sparkling place, just nice food, and good company. We took the alternative route of ordering various dishes, rices and naans, then everyone swapping, passing and tasting foods; then just simply split the bill. We all enjoyed it this way, but it can only work if everyone is in agreement, that is so much easier with eight people than with 16!
We set off at 10'O clock in a minibus to Agra Station or Tundla Station (about 25 kms from Agra) for overnight train to Varanasi. Ankur warned us of the potential risks on this train, therefore we all had to be careful with out possessions! One of the strong points on this trip has been Ankur's knowledge and awareness of the locals, their ways, and ours! This s potentially a 13 hour journey.
The train journey was fine. No issues. Everyone slept well, except poor Tom, who unfortunately was next to a light and a door; he had any interruptions. He was able to catch up a bit in his sleep between about 7 and 11!
The train managed to arrive with only an hour and a half delay, which is considered really good here!
We arrive at Varanasi, the quintessential Indian holy city where millions of Hindu travel to for pilgrimage, to worship, to mourn or to die.
We settled in, had lunch, then set off in rickshaws to the Ganges. The rickshaw ride in itself was an experience not to be missed; especially 8 rickshaws carrying white Europeans, in succession!
We went down the steps of one of the Ghats to get onto our boat to take to the Ganges. As with the Taj Mahal, I found the whole experience really overwhelming. I just started to cry. Once I had started, I just couldn't stop! Jude and Tom were very similar. I simply can't describe the feelings and emotions that washed over me as we floated by the various Ghats, the ceremonial burning place, even Ankur's explanation talk was do emotional for me. We then went to take part in the flower ceremony watching the monks doing their rituals. Again, for me, this experience is really indescribable!
We ended the night in a lush hotel, eating the best meal yet!, but I do keep saying that!
Just a funny thing happened before bed tonight that I think is worth mentioning, Patrick and I took the lift up to the third floor, first of all it stuck halfway between floors, but then it was followed by a power cut........ All three of just laughed until we were rescued... Lol
The end to another amazing day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



6th August 2014

Blart
yarra bit emotional me old gal..xx

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb