Taj Mahal and Red Fort


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
September 22nd 2008
Published: September 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

This morning we had a bus ride to Agra. It was the worst local bus so far! Everything was covered in a layer of grime and some of the seats were even damp! At least it was only for 2 hours! Then we got another private bus to take us to our hotel. We had to switch again to another bus that was electric because diesel/gasoline vehicles aren't allowed within a certain distance of the Taj Mahal. Our hotel (Hotel Sheela) is about 100 meters from the east gate of the Taj Mahal. It's pretty nice; not as good as some of the ones that we've been to, but not bad.

Right after lunch we went to the Taj Mahal. It is amazing, just like everyone always says it is! And of course, pictures don't do it justice at all! You really have to see it in person. All the intricate carvings and inlayed semi-precious stones are amazing! It was neat to walk through the entry gate and see the Taj Mahal rise up before us. Most of the inside is closed off to tourists; there's only one room that we could go in with the main memorials. The outside is definitely the best part. The mosques on either side of the Taj Mahal are pretty neat as well. Indian architecture is quite impressive! The Taj Mahal of course, but all the other forts, palaces, and masoleums as well. It's really amazing!

After the Taj Mahal we went to the Red Fort. We were told that we would get a 150 rupee discount if we went on the same day as the Taj Mahal but it ended up only being 50 rupees off. Oh well. The Red Fort was pretty amazing, but the Taj is definitely the main attraction. The fort is made out of red sandstone which I love the look of and had a bunch of intricate carvings and designs. There were some pretty good views of the Taj Mahal and the river. I wish I could go back in time and see it in action. All the gardens, people coming and going, elaborate decorations and jewels... It must have been amazing! There are signs around the fort with some information, but it would have been better with a guide. Not enough people in our group wanted one though, even though it was really cheap.

Tomorrow we get to explore the rest of Agra before we leave on our overnight train to Varanasi.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1956s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb