Taj Mahal and Fawlty Towers


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
July 25th 2008
Published: July 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a very hot ten hour bus journey we made it in one piece to Agra. Our hotel was by chance and basically a building site - we should have known better - but more about that later.

The next morning saw us getting up at 5.00am to see the Taj Mahal at sunrise. The gates open at 6.00am and by the time we had tickets got rid of our bags and had body searches we got in around 6.30am. Well the sun was up by that time and it was cloudy anyway! We entered through the west gate and then through the red sandstone gate which leads to the very first and finest view of all. The Taj stands there perfectly on a marble platform with only the sky as a backdrop. The building shimmers like fine lace and can not fail to render you speechless while you try and take in everything you can see. Once your voice has returned about the only thing you can say is wow and beautiful - then start taking photos! In front of you are gardens and water courses with fountains laid out in the Persian style. These all lead the eye perfectly to the Taj itself. Just in front is the marble plinth with four marble benches to sit on, which of course everyone does, because it makes such perfect photos.

We wandered up and removed our shoes to walk into the mausoleum. The central structure has four identical faces all carved in marble painted with flowers and inlaid with semi precious stones. Vaulted arches lead upto the dome. Inside sits a false tombe to Mumats surrounded by marble screens intricatley carved. We spent quite a few hours here taking it all in, before the increasing numbers of other tourists saw us bidding a retreat. We were sad to leave, this is by far the finest building either of us have to date seen and experienced, a truly magnificent and awe inspiring place.

Now to our hotel. When we arrived that night we had a little room with plaster falling off the walls but it had everything we needed. When we left to get something to eat, the electricity supply was flickering on and off with gay abandon. Infact when I got to the stairwell, there was a bang, a blue light and smoke. Hmmm we reported our concerns to the makeshift reception who said there were no problems. Hmm!!! On getting back we discovered there was no water in the bathroom whatsoever. On reporting this - a gentleman appeard and turned on all the taps and confirmed this was the case - well done Einstein!! They decided we could move to the next room - but wait for this - after the occupants had left! It was by now 11.00pm and after our very long and hot journey, I'm sure you can imagine our response!! We were finally moved to another room which was bigger but the air con that we had paid the extra for worked for about four hours and that was that!! We had to have breakfast in our room because the restaraunt was out of action, and last night we had lots of shouting, banging of doors and people trying to get into our room!!! Oh what fun we had!!! So a note for anyone who maybe going to Agra do not stop in the Kirandeep Hotel on the Mall Road it is lethal!!!

Anyway we are safe, we have lived to tell the tale (thankfully) and we are now in Delhi for an overnight stay in a nice hotel!!!. Neither of us fancied several more very long and hot bus trips to get upto Kathmandu so we've treated ourselves to a flight. We are really excited about going and can't wait to get there!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 15; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0832s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb