Taj Mahal Day


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
March 16th 2007
Published: January 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

As we turned the corner, walked through the portcullis gate and took our first glimpse of the Taj Mahal, we were overwhelmed with the sense that we'd remember this day for a long time to come.

It's such an iconic site that when we first booked our 'around the world' tickets with a homebound flight from Delhi, we could picture ourselves there, at the end of the year's adventures. We stood in the shade and thought back on the year - the exhaustion during the Inca Trail, the adrenaline rush during our skydive, the homesick feeling at Christmas time, the joy at seeing the sun rise over Ankor Wat, the serene beauty of reef diving in Thailand, the fear of poisonous animals in the jungle, contentment in New Zealand, the boredom of taking yet another train..bus..car..plane..ride, the jokes and smiles shared with people we couldn't speak to in their language, and the freedom of wandering through tea plantations in Munnar.

We felt so lucky that, unlike a lot of the people we met on the way, we had the freedom to do all of this. The Taj Mahal was definitely the finale to our year of travelling together.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Tieing A Red StringTieing A Red String
Tieing A Red String

Had some special significance but unfortunately can't remember what - sorry!
Taj MinaretTaj Minaret
Taj Minaret

One of these on each of the four corners.
Milling Around The FortMilling Around The Fort
Milling Around The Fort

A perfect picnic spot (except for the road and traffic behind)
Fathepur SikriFathepur Sikri
Fathepur Sikri

The beautiful gateway


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb