Raj Taj blah.


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
February 1st 2007
Published: February 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

We are finally out of Rajasthan. We spent the last three days in Jaipur, Rajasthan's capital. It was actually quite an awesome city. We were comletely amazed by the old walled city, which, like the Jaisalmer fort, is still inhabited. The old city is completely crumbling and packed beyond belief, with an infastructure that hardly seems to have been updated since it was first constructed.

We were there on an Islamic holy day, which no doubt contributed to the crowds. There was supposed to be a parade, or something like that, during which devout muslims march down the main road and beat themselves to pay penance of the Islamic version of the original sin. We got a seat at a restaurant along the main road and waited for the procession, which never actually came. Instead, what we saw were mobs of children with drums, followed by another mob carrying a shiny replica of some palace...we still have no idea what they were doing.

Needless to say, we were a little bummed about missing the festival so we just spent the day wandering the city's side streets and baazars. As we picked our way through raw sewage and burning garbage, we found some incredible shops, restaurants, and sights.

The next day we drove to Agra. We've been told theres nothing there but the Taj Mahal, and they were true. It is a crazy busy city with more garbage then Id ever seen on the roads. We arrived at the hotel and left soon after to find some dinner. After a very uncomfortable dinner for Danica (3 men staring and whispering about her the entire meal) we left in search of sweeties!

We went to bed very early because our day started at 5:30 to head to the Taj Mahal and see the sun rise. It was nice to be there early as well because the gardens wernt cramped with tour groups. We sat in awe as literaly out of the darkness the MASSIVE breath taking marble building appeared. First pink then slowly to wite we both were in shear amazment. Its un describable the energy it gives off. You can tell it was built to prove ones love. We spent almost 5 hours there trying to soak it all in and taking all kinds of goofy pictures!

Then it was off to the train station to head to GOA!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb