Agra


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
January 15th 2007
Published: January 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hey Guys,

In Agra (home of the Taj Mahal) at the mo, despite Dan's best efforts to move us on a day early. Went to check out this morning only to find that our train leaves tomorrow night, not tonight! Nice one Dan! Hotel staff found this most amusing. We arrived here on the morning of the 13th and have basically spent the last few days taking in the many sights around Agra. Our first afternoon was spent visiting Akbar's Tomb (quite an impressive building but not a lot else there), some tomb with fancy blue tiles (though there weren't many of them left!), the Baby Taj which was really beautiful and finished the day off watching the Taj as the sun set....spectacular!

Yesterday, we visited Agra bear sanctuary in the morning. The Indian Government in conjunction with various charities have confiscated nearly 150 dancing bears that previously lined the road to Fatehpur Sikri. The bears have been rehomed in this sanctuary, which was actually really well run. We were shown around by a Dr Raja and got to see a number of the bears playing together and being fed. While some of them are still in a bad way, many of them have regained some of their natural behaviour, which was brilliant to see.

In the afternoon we visited Fatehpur Sikri, a deserted city West of Agra that was the capital of the Mughal Empire until it ran out of water! The palaces were a little dull but the Jama Masjid was certainly worth the effot. We were given a guided tour for free(!), which was very interesting.

This morning (after the checking out escapade and some difficulty finding hot water) we headed over to the Taj itself so we could see it as the sun rose (about 7.30ish). Unfortunately, as you'll see from the photos, it was a bit cloudy, but nevertheless it was breathtaking. There really is no way to describe it, you do have to see it for yourself. Although, at Rs750 each, it doesn't come cheap. (especially when the locals can get in for Rs20!) We spent a good few hours trying to take it all in and trying to get a few decent shots that will do it justice. Hopefully we've been successful!

After the Taj it was on to the Red Fort, which in all honesty was much the same as every other fort we've been to, although we did splash out on a guide this time (an 81-year-old chap with an uncanny resemblance to Gandi and chronic wind problems...which he seemed to be oblivious too!) who was very knowledgable (he had been a guide for 55 years!) and this made everything much more interesting.

This afternoon has been spent trawling around the various bazzars in search of some authentic Indian handicrafts (mum and dad free - make sure you keep lots of space in your luggage when you come over!) but didn't find too much....this time!

Tomorrow we're going to take it easy before heading off to Varanasi in the evening....something which looks set to be quite a challenge!

As for the Shanti Lodge, our place of residence for the moment, it's very basic but the view of the Taj from our room more than compensates for this. Although, I'm not sure it quite justifys the electric shocks we both recieved when trying to shower on the first morning! These were definitely the strongest shocks we've had so far and we feel very fortunate to still be alive! We ended up showering in another room down three flights of stairs, outside and around the corner (not ideal). There was a small amount of satisfaction to be had when the chap from reception (who didn't believe us) succumbed to the same fate! We must add that generally, the staff here have been brilliant.

That's enough for now. Take care.

Dan and Dani


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



15th January 2007

Hey you two
It sounds like you two are having the time of your life... I'm very envious! It's great getting to read what you've been up to, keep it up Dani as you're doing a great job. Take care. Carly x - The pictures of the Taj bring back many memories!
15th January 2007

Bear sanctuary?
Really sorry to read that you didn't get the chance to see the dancing bears!!! Enjoy the train ride to Varanasi I wish I was there to meet you again. Watch out for the floaters.
16th January 2007

Bear Sanctuary
Dani Says you're horrible!!! Dan says 'pure genius' Hopefully speak to you soon!

Tot: 0.721s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 96; dbt: 0.6181s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb