The Landmark of India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
December 6th 2006
Published: December 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Off to the Train Station



From Bandhavgarh Park we caught a local bus to the train station. Our servant boy at the hotel warned us that the bus would be very full as a festival was on but we braved public transport anyways. Thankfully, servant boy flagged down the bus in front of our hotel before the actual bus stop and we chucked our backpacks on the roof and got a seat next to the window in the back row of the bus. At the real bus stop the locals pushed their way off and then more of them pushed their way on. The seats were full and space in the aisle quickly filled up with men, women and children packed in like sardines. Two young men clung onto the doorframe with only one foot inside the bus. Thankfully we had a seat and were used to cramped positions. My ass was fully on the seat and Jarrod also had an inch to spare. As the bus moved forward people swayed and moaned and groaned. A lady squeezed in beside me and wiggled every so often to gain bum room. I could give her a bit more space by crossing my legs... well, better not, the bus could get even fuller and then I’ll need that sliver of room! Being the naive foreigner I’ve given up precious bum room before only to be pushed farther and farther off the seat. Not this time - I was keeping my territory on the seat! We survived the hour long bus ride quite comfortably and made it to the train station in time for a cup of tea before boarding the train for another overnight ride.


The Taj Mahal


Agra is just a quick two-day stop to see the famous Taj Mahal. We woke early to visit the Taj for sunrise and were the first in line to purchase tickets. Such keeners. We passed through security after they confiscated our lighter, beedies, ipod, headphones, headlamp, and camera tripod. Yet they missed the 4-inch jack knife. Typical.

Mughal Emperor, Shah Jahan, built the Taj in memory of his favorite wife after she died while giving birth to their 14th child. The Taj was started in 1631, the year of her death, and it took over 20,000 workers 22 years to complete. It is made from white marble and inlayed with precious stones imported from all over Asia. It really is stunning and a marvel of architecture from afar and up close.

Inside the main dome was a bit eerie. It sounded like a mix between the Muslim call to prayer and listening to a seashell. Or maybe it was the pigeons living inside. Or better yet, maybe it was the ghost of the Emperors wife!

We paid a pretty penny (750 rupees or $19 CND each) to enter the Taj so we stayed as long as we could. We were up early with no breakfast so after four hours we called it a day. We spent our time gazing at the Taj, talking to another Canadian from small town Saskatchewan and tourist watching. Since the Taj is a must see for every tourist in India there was quite a mix of visitors: Japanese tourists flashing the peace sign, Americans asking guides silly questions, and white haired English ladies chatting to other retirees from the tour bus.

Next Stop (and last stop in India): Delhi





Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

A Thing of BeautyA Thing of Beauty
A Thing of Beauty

Carol or the Taj....
Happy DayHappy Day
Happy Day

Up at 5:30am, no breakfast, no shower, no makeup, no problem!
Japanese TouristJapanese Tourist
Japanese Tourist

Hmm...which camera to choose? Oooppps, droped one. Honestly he did!


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb