My final week in Sadhana


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu
August 26th 2009
Published: August 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So now I'm finally home in England, missing Sadhana like crazy!

My last week was both beautiful and exhausting. Getting myself together to leave and saying goodbye to some new found lifelong friends was difficult but I knew this chapter in my life was going to have to end sometime.

One of the main things I made sure I crammed into this week was seeing the Matrimandir. This was an experience, what kind, I'm still not sure! It's very strict with regards to getting an appointment so David and I booked days in ahead. We turned up, had to watch a 20 minute video on the history of Auroville and then was escorted to the Matrimandir. Here our bags were taken from us, and I was even asked to leave my water, which I was annoyed about as I was feeling very dehydrated. When I questioned why I had to leave my water I was told we were not to take anything in from the outside, so why the hell was I allowed to go in clothed? Idiots. Then we were given a lengthy speech about the history of the Matrimandir. He told us that the outer disks are two layers of glass surrounding bits of gold leaf and it's taken around 30 years, and a load of money and volunteer help to finish this huge golden ball.

Finally we were escorted inside into the main chamber where we were told we had to put on their socks, even if we had our own on. Of course we're all too dirty for the beautiful Matrimandir :ยท. We walked up and around many spiralling stairs and white carpeted ramps. It was beautiful inside, but a tad over the top if you ask me. It felt like we were walking through one of the sets from James Bond or something, going through a secret government lair.

Once we were in the meditation chamber, which was all white, we sat down and had our 15 minute session surrounding a large crystal globe which is shone on by light coming from a hole in the ceiling. It was surreal, beautiful, inspiring and completely silent. It was nice to sit in silence. I had almost forgotten what silence was in the chaotic surroundings of India. I would recommend for everyone to go if they are in Auroville, but I stand by my statement that the Matrimandir is pretentious and unecessary!

The highlight of my last week was actually my last day. I decided to venture out by myself and take a walk through the local villages up to Koot road, which is a 40 minute walk. I took my camera with me and intended mainly to take pictures of the temples, shops and houses, but as soon as the local villagers spotted that I had a camera, they went crazy! They really love having their picture taken. I said hello, or "Wanakam" in Tamil, to villagers as I passed and they swarmed me/called me over at every chance. The children were adorable, all desperate to get into every shot I took. At the first village I was told I was revealing too much flesh and so the village women removed my scarf and put it on me properly and even gave me a pin. Well, I say they told me I was revealing too much flesh but actually I couldn't understand what they were saying, I just gathered this by their hand movements and signals.

At the second village I was given a flower by one of the women to put into the temple as an offering. I walked over to the temple with her and she showed me how to kneel down and pray. It was amazing how even though they knew I am not Hindi, but they still wanted to involve me, a complete stranger, just wandering down the road. Then after many photos, some including a half naked skinny old man, who by the way, was incredibly funny, I ventured on to Koot road.

At Koot road I bought some Tamil films, which the owner of the shop insisted on previewing with me on the TV. He could speak some pretty good English so we bantered for a while. He seemed a nice enough guy, if you're ever on Koot road, buy from him!!

I carried on my way after that, taking pictures of stalls as I went. One of which insisted that I send him the photograph and gave me his card with his address on, which of course, was in Tamil so I couldn't actually read it. After I explained my lack of knowledge of Tamil, he had his friend translate it into English for me, which took what seemed forever! The guy gave me some free flowers to put in my hair though, so I am going to try and send that photo before I leave for Ecuador. It would make their day.

Shortly after this I was harassed by an old lady, she was grabbing my arms and repeating something to me, which of course I couldn't understand as it was in Tamil, so I asked a gentleman next to me to translate and he said she really really wants her photograph taken. They really do love having their photograph taken. She looked overjoyed when I showed her the photo on the screen after. I gave her a loving smile, said thank you (nandri in Tamil) and continued on my way.

I stopped for my last ever chikuu juice at Gorilla G and then ventured back through the villages to Sadhana. Everyone who ends up at Sadhana, I strongly advise you take the time to walk through the villages with your camera out and be sure to take lots of sweets for the kids! They'll be all over you. This is where you can experience the real India, and it really touched my heart. I wish I'd have done it sooner. I used to say that I couldn't see the beauty in India, and I had to search for it through all the waste and chaos, but that day I saw the beauty in India. The beautiful little faces and the gracious old women, all happy to welcome you, even through the language barrier. The villages for me are the real India!




Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



21st September 2009

Thnx for sharing
Its so plainly and yet beautifully written. Thnx for sharing..

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb