Attack of the leeches


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Tirunelveli
July 26th 2014
Published: July 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

A quick update on what we did on the first day of trekking. We drove into the mountains in the 'party bus' which took about two hours as we had to stop at two check points. The road through the mountains was a tad terrifying, someone compared it to the end of the Italian job. Eventually we got to our stop alive and had our lunch which was as usual curry. After much deliberation we started an hour and a half trek through the mountains which led us through a tea plantation where a few of us had a go at harvesting the tea, the ladies made it look a lot easier then it was. We continued on the walk through the mountain where a few members of the group found leeches attached to their legs, boots and on Ella her glasses. It caused a bit of hysteria and there was lots of screaming but eventually we got out of the leech area and carried on our walk to a church. After a five minute rest we started our trek to a waterfall which took about an hour. On our way to the waterfall we passed some epic scenery and crossed small rushing rivers. When we got to the waterfall the majority of us jumped in and started splashing around with an Indian family that was already there and used it as an opportunity to use the water for a much needed shower. We have some amazing photos and videos of the water cascading down. After about half an hour we got out of the water and started the trek back when the heavens opened and drenched us even more. Over the ridge of another mountain peak you could hear the thunder. We arrived back at the church and climbed on the bus to take us back to where we were staying. The trip down was less scary as the majority of us were asleep, exhaustion really did overcome fear. Once we'd got back to the accommodation, which involved navigating through a festival welcoming the new season, we dried off eventually and were given the chance to go into town. After yet again more curry, which was actually not that spicy, and a really sweet tea we where given another quiz of which the prize was pizza. After the quiz we attempted to get to sleep but that was easier said then done as the festival didn't stop until well after midnight and there was no air-con in the rooms. Laters. Hope and Ivor.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0756s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb